The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Custom user fields? (Not custom checkout fields)

Chrisbloom7Chrisbloom7 Member
in Help edited March 2009
Is there a way to use the custom fields behavior defined in http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:checkout:customfields, but have it apply to a users profile? I want to add some fields like Industry and Company Size, but have it stored with the user profile so they don't have to enter it every time.
Comments
  • knightknightknightknight Member
    edited March 2009
    @Chrisbloom7, haven't tried it myself yet but have you looked at the User:api
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We don't currently have custom fields per customer, though you might be able to develop a work around using hidden cart values and some JQuery. Most of our functionality revolves around the transaction, but I can see more customer integrations taking place so if this something you'd like to see, please vote for it here: http://requests.foxycart.com/
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    I've been thinking this would be something neat to have for a while now. Out of curiosity (and since you have consistently good feedback) do you see this working just as single name/value pairs? So industry==print media and company_size==50-99? Or are you thinking of something perhaps a bit more "deep" like validating custom fields, arrays, or etc.?

Also, if we're just doing name/value pairs I assume you'd like to see those custom customer fields to be pre-populated as necessary on the checkout, just like the standard customer fields are?

Additionally, this functionality might get into the concept of "user groups" or "user categories" (similar to the existing "product categories" in the FC admin), which has been discussed as a requirement for things like tax-exempt customers and such. That's probably a bit further out on the horizon, but perhaps worth mentioning in this discussion.