Multiple Taxed States

steeeeephensteeeeephen Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited November 2007
Not sure if this is possible with the current setup, although I couldn't find it.

Is is possible to have multiple states add sales tax automatically?
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Currently it's either "same state" or "force it everywhere". We do know we need proper tax bands, though.

Just out of curiosity, what's the scenario? We know Canada is just brutal with tax logic, but you're US, no? Curious to know what states are making our lives difficult ;)
  • The store is US based, but the situation is kind of strange:

The guy's business is based out of California. But, he used to be based of Virginia, where he has his company registered as an LLC and all that jazz. He would just move his business to California, but I guess its more expensive to register and such there, so he wants to stay registered in Virginia. So, (according to him, I don't pretend to have even a basic understanding of US tax laws....) he has to charge tax in both places because he is registered in VA, but has a "store" in CA. It's a mess, and probably a fairly unique situation...
    Huh... yeah, CA is super aggressive with their taxes, so I could see how that'd be playing it safe if nothing else... For the time being there's no easy way to do this, but we'll discuss and see if we can figure out when we anticipate this functionality arriving.
  • We're having a similar issue, and would be really interested to see this feature.
    Sheeley, I'm beginning to think there's not an issue you don't have ;)

Just kidding. I'm glad you chimed in, as the more people ask us for stuff, the faster we do it. Take a look at this thread about Canadian taxes and let me know if it seems like that'd work for what you want to do.
  • Hey, I'm getting everything I can out of this $30/month! Our CFO mentioned something about a tax table, I don't know what their costs or expenses are, but if the whole thing could be automagic, that would be sweet. The rules based tax that's discussed in the other thread seems like it would work, too (but we'd actually have to put in numbers!).
  • Hey we're also in a situation where we need to charge tax for orders only in MI and VA. Any updates on this?
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We're currently in the process of restructuring the checkout system which should enable us to solve these kinds of problems. We'll have a full blown tax manager which should let you set up various tax jurisdictions. We don't currently have a timeline for when this will be available. If you need it right away, please go ahead and fill a bug report and Brett will get in touch with you on what we can do to push this along.