The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Specification for XML Data Feeds and API?

I have not found any specifications that would describe what data types are being fed through each fields in a XML document.

For an example, is an ID field something like Unsigned Long or a multi-precision integer? Are all the "Is_*" Fields expected to be either 0 or 1, in another word, a boolean value? No null or any unexpected value? Are all integers in XML document are going to exceed 32 bits integer such as Width/Length/Height fields?

Can you release a full specification on what to expect when reading any XML output from your website? I am attempting to create a full XSD definition for Foxydata and I've already seen the other XSD that were documented on Wiki which is essentially marking all fields as string, I'd like to have some of the definitions established.

Please and thank you.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @BlackCentipede,

Thanks for the request! Unfortunately as you found we don't currently have an XSD definition of our webhooks - the next best thing we have currently is the example outputs of the datafeed as seen on the wiki at http://wiki.foxycart.com/static/redirect/xml_datafeed

The example output should give you a general idea of what type of information the field will contain - and we'd be happy to answer any specific questions you may have. I'll ask one of our developers to take a look and get back to you on the queries you posted already. He's out sick currently, and there are some holidays coming up in the US - but he'll get back to you as quickly as he can.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited November 2015
    Hello @BlackCentipede. Our future plans involve focusing entirely on the Hypermedia API which you can find out more about here: https://api.foxycart.com/docs Though we do support HAL+XML, we don't plan on releasing an XSD document because the idea behind hypermedia APIs is that the messages themselves are somewhat fluid (much like the HTML your browser interprets). We'll avoid breaking changes, but we may introduce new fields or change the order of fields. As far as I understand, anything coded to an XSD file would then break unless the XSD file was dynamically updated.

The existing API will continue to function, but we won't add new features to it. It would be best to treat each message as simply a message and not tightly couple your internal representation of that message data with ours. Tight coupling leads to brittle integrations and future things breaking.

Can you let us know what value a detailed XSD spec would be for what you're wanting to do?

We do have a start of an XSD for the old XML transaction webhook here:
    https://admin.foxycart.com/static/v/2.0.0/xsd/transaction_template.xsd

Thanks.