Buy One, Get One Free Coupon

TonyTony Member

My company is trying to create a "Buy one, get one free" coupon for one of our sites, but it is not quite working. If I log into FoxyCart, go to the store > product > coupons section, add a new coupon, and change coupon details to this:

Coupon Type: Discount by a percentage based on the quantity.
Coupon Details: repeat|2-100

, it does what I want in the scenario where a user buys two products with identical prices, but if they buy two products with dissimilar prices, the discount is actually half of the average of the prices, not 100% of the price of the 2nd item that was added to the cart. Is what I am trying to do possible? Also, ideally, we'd like to have the discount only apply if the first product the user adds to the cart is at least $9.95. Is this second goal achievable without re-categorizing all the products in our store?

As an alternative, I've tried single|14.90-100, with the intention that if someone buys a $9.95 and a >=$4.95 product, then they would get 100% off the $4.95 product. However, what this actually did was to give them 100% off their entire order when they bought at least $14.90. If the repeat|2-100 method above isn't possible, is there a way to do this one?

Version: 0.7.2
Documentation Referenced: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/0.7.2/coupons_and_discounts

Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    it does what I want in the scenario where a user buys two products with identical prices, but if they buy two products with dissimilar prices, the discount is actually half of the average of the prices, not 100% of the price of the 2nd item that was added to the cart.
    That's correct. Coupons currently deal in averages - the discounting logic doesn't know which product you want to discount by the amount directed, so it will take an average price of all the affected products and use that.
    Also, ideally, we'd like to have the discount only apply if the first product the user adds to the cart is at least $9.95. Is this second goal achievable without re-categorizing all the products in our store?
    Similarly to above - the discount logic isn't based on what product was added when - but the tiers are currently based on the total quantity or the total price of affected products.
    If the repeat|2-100 method above isn't possible, is there a way to do this one?
    The repeat method would be the closest way to get what you're looking for at this time.
  • Okay, thank you for the help. I'm glad to know that I wasn't just overlooking something.