state field sometimes won't change at checkout

Multiple customers have reported a problem with updating the state field in checkout since we upgraded to v2.0. This has caused several instances of address validation errors and fulfillment errors due to invalid shipping address. Having recently changed addresses myself, I have also encountered the same problem on my own customer account with our store and have been able to do some diagnostics on it. Here is what is happening:

1. Customer logs in to account at checkout and their shipping address pre-populates.
2. The populated shipping address has the wrong state for the current address, and appears to populate the state associated with a previously saved address. In my case, I moved from Minnesota to Maryland. I had changed the shipping address on my account, and then when logging back into the account again later, my Maryland shipping address appears correctly but with Minnesota as the state.
3. When the customer attempts to update the state field to the correct address and uses the DROP DOWN select options, the field automatically reverts back to the pre-populated selection whenever a new state is selected and an to move to the next field is made. In my case, the state field persists in reverting back to Minnesota no matter how many times I attempt to change it with the select dropdown.

I have found two ways of circumventing this bug. One is to manually type in the name of the state in the state field and tab away from it. The other is to change the country field selection to a different country, and then change it back to US, which will clear out all of the city, state and postcode fields -- after which a new state can be selected. This sticky

I do not know if this is a browser specific thing, but have been using Chrome to test this. If you want to take a look at this yourself on our store, I can allow you to use my account with a UOE password to see the bug in action. Please fix this as soon as you're able to. It has continued to cause some of our customers much frustration at checkout. Let me know if I can help with any more info. Thanks!

Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Geoffrey,

As always - thanks for your thorough notes. We'll dig into this and get back to you as soon as we can.
    @Geoffrey,

Slightly related to your other ticket - when you're updating the flat rates snippet - if updating that doesn't change the behaviour of this, could you also try quickly temporarily removing the flat rate snippet and testing this again too please?
  • @fc_adam,

After updating the shipping snippet to 2.0.8, this problem with the state field is still present. I also attempted removing the snippet entirely and testing this again, but the problem still remains.
    @Geoffrey,

Thanks for trying that for me. We'll continue to dig in on our side.
  • @fc_adam,

Our customers are still having problems with this bug. Had another report of it this morning. Any further status on fixing it? I'm sure you probably have lots of higher priority items, and this seems like a small issue, but it is affecting customers and causing both user frustration and potential fulfillment errors. I imagine there may be some conversion loss from this too. I just want to make sure this issue isn't forgotten. Thanks.
    @Geoffrey,

Thanks for pinging the thread. No movement yet - and we'll be sure to update you as soon as there is
    edited June 2016
    @Geoffrey,

We rolled out some recent changes that I don't believe affect this particular issue - but in trying to replicate it right now to test that, I've been unable to replicate. Are you still able to experience this issue?