Subscription cancel not working

So we've apparently had many people report a problem with canceling subscriptions since we upgraded to 2.0. I'm not sure that any of our subscribers have succeeded in canceling their subscription from the cancel link in their email receipt, and we have had to resort to manually deactivating and sometimes refunding them after support requests. I was testing this just now and I am experiencing the same problem, but am unable to pinpoint the problem. The issue does not appear to be happening on our test site (vtdev2.foxycart.com) as was able to successfully cancel a subscription through the email link there. It is only occurring on our live site (secure.verdanttea.com). There isn't much, if any, difference in the configuration of our test and live cart/checkout, so I am not sure what's going on.

When I try to complete the subscription cancellation, the checkout just blanks out and says the cart is empty, and then does not direct to any receipt. On the test site, it succeeds and directs to the receipt. As a diagnostic measure, I added the "not is_subscription_cancel" and "not is_updateinfo" conditions to all of our cart/checkout scripts in the custom footer, but this does not appear to effect the problem.

I will whisper you details for testing this on our live site with a subscription I created. Please take a look at this and get back to me as soon as you can. We'd like to resolve this one promptly if possible. Thanks for your help!
Comments
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @Geoffrey

There has been a known issue regarding cancelling subscriptions, that relates to Google Analytics, that we are in the process of fixing. I've included your concern as a possible candidate for that. Once that gets resolved, your issue should be resolved as well. We'll let you know if there are developments regarding that.
  • @fc_jed,

Do you have an rough idea of timetable on that fix? I just want to know so that we can effectively communicate to our subscription customers about what to expect in the meantime?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Geoffrey,

Unfortunately we don't have an ETA, but I did discuss this with the team member working on this ticket yesterday though, and I believe we have a plan of attack for getting it fixed as soon as we can. We'll update you as we get more information. Sorry for the inconvenience to you and your customers!
  • @fc_adam,

Given your mention that this is associated with Google Analytics, would there by any way for us to manually exclude the GA tracking code on is_subscription_cancel checkout in the meantime? We don't have the GA code added on our test site, and the sub cancel process works just fine there. Please let me know. I'd rather not have to tell our customers that they have to email support to cancel their subscriptions while you are working on a fix for this.
    @Geoffrey,

Great thought - sorry I didn't think of that myself. The Google Analytics script is added with the other footer scripts, so if you prevent those from being output on your sub cancel, then that should get them working.

You have some scripts in your custom footer currently, but looking over that I don't think any of them would be needed on a sub cancel. Let me know if there is any that do need to be there and we can look for a different approach.

If that's ok though - jump onto the checkout template, set that to custom and update the footer output to be wrapped in an if statement like this:
    {% if not is_subscription_cancel %}
    <!-- FC footer script insertion -->{% include template_from_string(fc_footer_content) %}<!-- /FC footer scripts -->
    {% endif %}
  • not sure if this is the best thread to ask a question on, but I'm a new FC user and had a question about subscription cancellations. We offer a 12-month subscription and a user who created their account 5 days wants to cancel it now. How do I guide the user to the place where they can manage their subscription?
    @jahoopes3,

Assuming you're making use of the normal FoxyCart receipt, the customer should have received links within their receipt to manage their subscription, including one to cancel their subscription.

You can also generate a link for them that you can send directly to them to cancel - details on that can be found within this section of our wiki: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/products/subscriptions#the_sub_tokenwhat_it_is_and_how_to_use_it
  • @fc_adam,

Just wanted to let you know that this bug has also been effecting Update Info orders. I just confirmed this by attempting to complete an update info myself and it resulted in the same problem described above. I fixed this by changing the conditional statement around the footer script insertion to add the is_updateinfo condition:

{% if not is_subscription_cancel and not is_updateinfo %}
    <!-- FC footer script insertion -->{% include template_from_string(fc_footer_content) %}<!-- /FC footer scripts -->
    {% endif %}
    @Geoffrey,

Thanks for updating, and I'm glad you were able to find a solution there. I've updated our ticket to note the additional issue for updateinfo, and also pinged it so we can get it back on track. It seems it was stalled after a team member left.
    @Geoffrey,

A quick update for this thread - we've recently rolled out some changes to our Google Analytics integration code to prevent it causing issues with sub cancels and update_info requests.