moving subscriptions to a different store

We currently have both a subscription product and regular one-off products in the same store, and are looking at the possibility of separating these two kinds of products into their own sites, at least on the customer side. I'm thinking we would probably move the subscription product to a subdomain, that just exists as a self contained site, like subscription.verdanttea.com, and have the other products remain as they are on verdanttea.com. I have a few questions about this:

1. Can we technically have two different websites for these products, but keep them as the same store and cart/checkout on the FoxyCart side? (It doesn't appear that subscription records can be moved to a new FC store, and I wouldn't want to lose record continuity of historical orders if we moved the other products to a new store)

2. If the two websites >> one FC store setup is possible, what are the considerations and caveats to be aware of?

3. Can you refer me to any resources/docs on how to best go about implementing this kind of thing.

Thanks again for all your help.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Geoffrey,

It doesn't matter where products come from - they can come from emails or different websites or even a URL in a text message. The difficulties would come from wanting to have multiple different FoxyCart stores from a single website. You'll just need to make sure that you have the javascript present for both websites, and test that a customer is able to successfully add products from both sites to the same session with and without cookies.

Let us know if you run into any issues!
  • @fc_adam,

I have a follow up question to this after our team discussed all the relevant issues. At this point it seems that we may ultimately want to separate out our subscription product and our regular retail products into two distinct FoxyCart stores, with fully separate websites. There are a couple problems we're seeing with this prospect.

1. Starting a new FC store for the subscription product would seem to require our ~200 active subscribers to re-subscribe on the new store/site. We would rather not require anyone to sign up again due to the potential of losing subscribers. Also all the transaction history associated with our established subscribers would be lost if we restarted the subscription product in a new store.

2. If instead we started a new FC store for the regular retail products to retain the subscribers we have on the current FC store, we still would have the problem of losing all of our customer accounts and transaction history data in the new store, which would be problematic considering our desire to create a customer account portal.

Given these issues, I am wondering... Is there any way that you can port/move subscription records, or customer and transaction data from one FC store to another? I know this is not a client-side option, but I'd like to know if this is an action that you could potentially accomplish for us on your end? The most ideal scenario would be if just the subscription customer records and transaction history could be moved to a new FC store.

Do we have any good options here?
    @Geoffrey,

Good question. It would be possible for you to migrate the customer records you need using the API, so they could log in on the new store with the same credentials - but we don't provide a way to migrate historical records from one store to another. Sorry we didn't have a better answer!
    @Geoffrey,

To take a slight step back - could you clarify why you're wanting to split the two different transaction types into separate stores? We'd love to ensure we understanding what you're running into.