FoxyCart Error Message "Duplicate Transaction"

Hi,

Can I prevent FC from telling the user they have a duplicate transaction? I was doing some checkout tests on our website and my saved credit card had an outdated expiration date so FC gave me the error "MMYY". That was all good. Then I entered the same card again but with the new updated expiration date, but this time FC told me I had a “duplicate transaction” and wouldn’t allow me to continue checkout. This is not conducive to sales and as a user I would be annoyed. Any way to fix this?

Thanks,
Karen
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @kmadler,

Sorry to hear you've experienced that! Could you let us know your store domain?

From what you've described there - I don't believe the duplicate transaction error is actually coming from us - but rather it's coming from your store's payment gateway. For that error to be returned, the gateway would have had to have already received and processed a successful transaction, and then received it again in duplicate within a certain timeframe.

If you can confirm your store though, we'll take a look at the logs and see what might have happened.
    @kmadler,

Thanks for whispering me your store.

Looking at the transactions that are hitting this error - it does all start with your gateway returning declined, and then any requests following that are triggering the duplicate error. This is all dictated by your gateway though - we're not performing any checks for duplicate requests.

As for why they still flagged it as a duplicate with the new expiry date, I'm not sure unfortunately. I'd recommend reaching out to your gateway support team and seeing if they can shed any light on why that was still considered a duplicate.
  • Thanks, Adam. I had my accounting team look into this. They changed a setting and Voila, fixed the duplication error issue.

The "duplicate lockout time" was set to 30 minutes so it wouldn't allow the transaction to go through. Why this is considered a "duplicate" if there is an entirely different expiration date, I still don't know. That seems to be the more pertinent aspect to address but at least the cards will go through on second try. Hopefully folks don't hit the "submit" button twice and get duplicate charges.
    @kmadler,

I'm glad you found a solution there. It might be worth reaching out to your gateway and asking them if the expiry dates are included in the duplication checks - because I'd assume that a different expiry would be considered as not-duplicate as well.