visa/debit card

I have just uploaded the starter pack to 'test' foxy cart for an upcoming ecommerce project I currently use paypal but its one draw back is you always have to take the customer off site to make payment - which is where foxy cart may help. My first queries are:
1)I am in the UK so we want debit and visa cards accepted. (obviously we want to be able to accept payments from anyone anywhere, but Ill focus in on the UK first). The default settings seem to allow 'credit/debit cards' but when you go to the test checkout you only see the 4 card icons for master card, visa, discover & american express. Does this mean that the debit card is now acceptable - even though there are no debit card icons? The good thing about paypal is the cards you can select to pay from change depending on the country you are in, so you select country, then card type and it lists all popular cards ect to choose from.

2)In the control panel 'Let customers pay with a Credit or Debit Card: ' you are asked for a 'bank card payment method:ANZ eGate, Authorize.net etc' I don't understand this I thought the whole point of your system was 'foxy cart' processed the payment so why the need for the list?
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @roberto3000

Thanks for reaching out. Just to clarify, we're not responsible for processing your payments - it's the payment gateway's job. With regard to debit and visa cards being accepted, it also depends on what payment gateway you're using. Have a look at this link for a clearer view on the separation of concerns in the process: http://www.foxycart.com/features/what-foxycart-does

With regard to taking the customer off-site, that' the behavior PayPal provides. Other gateways allow you to process straight from the checkout. Here's a list of supported UK gateways: https://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/start?dataflt[0]=countrie_=UK
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @roberto3000,

To expand on Jed's reply - the icons displayed on the checkout are based on the card types that are set as supported for your store. By default this is Visa, Mastercard, Discover and Amex, but you can also select Diners Club, Maestro and Laser, and if selected their icons will appear also. You can see that setting on the "Configuration" page of your store's FoxyCart administration - within the "Checkout" grouping for an option labelled "Limited supported payment card types".

To clarify though - that setting will just determine what card types are validated on the checkout - but it doesn't guarantee that your chosen payment gateway will support them - you'll only want to enable the card options that your gateway of choice support.

As Jed mentioned - we don't process any payments directly, but securely pass the customer payment details off to a payment gateway that you select for processing - so you'll need to set up an account with one that we support and enter their details into the administration. While testing you can select any payment gateway there and just use the default test accounts - but for a live site you will need your own payment gateway set up and configured.