Combine PayPal Express with PayPal Pro?

Hi gang,

My checkout now supports both PayPal Express Checkout and PayPal Pro Checkout.

PayPal Express accepts only PayPal. This is nice, because my customers check out fast: the shipto into information is taken straight from their PayPal account info.

My checkout also supports PayPal Pro, which accepts credit cards. I think may also accept PayPal payments -- does anyone know?

If PayPal Pro accepts PayPal payments and credit cards, is there any reason to also have PayPal Express Checkout?

Should I just remove PayPal Express from my Foxycart setup, so everyone (credit card holders and PayPal users) go to PayPal Pro ?

Is there a downside to tossing out PayPal Express and going entirely with PayPal Pro?

Oh, I sell things, not subscriptions or downloads, if that makes a difference.

Thanx,
-Cliff
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @CliffS,

Good question. PayPal Payments Pro does not allow customers to pay with their PayPal account, but instead lets the customer pay with their credit card directly on your FoxyCart checkout. The customer doesn't need to be redirected over to PayPal's page in order to pay.

PayPal Express Checkout on the other hand does require the customer leave the FoxyCart checkout flow to enter their PayPal credentials to organise payment. In some instances, PayPal Express Checkout also allows the customer to enter a credit card as well - but this is also done on PayPal's hosted payment page - not on the FoxyCart checkout.

If you want to allow customers to pay with their PayPal account, you will need to maintain PayPal Express Checkout.
  • Very weird. I gotta get my too-small brain around this:

PayPal Payments Pro won't accept ordinary PayPal payments.

OK, that sunk in. Now, I look at the PayPal website and they say:

> Introducing Website Payments Pro.
    > You can accept credit and debit cards and PayPal payments directly on your website ... blah blah.
    > Website Payments Pro differs from PayPal Payments Pro

Does Foxycart support "Website Payments Pro" ? Is this even worth looking at?

Thanx!
    -Cliff
    edited March 2016
    @CliffS,

It can be confusing between the different properties - and PayPal have changed things up over the years which can add to that confusion.

If you're wanting to accept PayPal payments - that will be done through their Express Checkout functionality which will send the customer over to PayPal. When you sign up with something like PayPal Payments Pro - that gives you access to that gateway solution, and also the EC solution - so you can accept debit/credit cards on your checkout, or send the customer on to PayPal's hosted EC service to pay with PayPal.

Looking at their site though - there does seem to be some confusion with the use of Website Payments Pro - we'll reach out to PayPal to confirm that for us.

To confirm for now though - if you want to accept PayPal as a payment option - keep the Express Checkout option enabled.
  • Thanx, Adam!

Warm cheers to you and your colleagues!

-Cliff
    @CliffS,

We heard back from PayPal - and it looks as though they have some older documentation still available on their website from when Website Payments Pro was a solution they provided. It's not something they offer anymore though, and WPP was replaced by PayPal Payments Pro.