Gift Certificates

How can I create a gift certificate for a customer that has a set value and that if not used fully retains the remainder to be used later?

I don't think it's a coupon or discount, as that implies a set number of uses, not a reusable code.
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @TiffaniH,

Unfortunately we don't natively support gift certificates yet. It's on our roadmap, and it's an often requested feature - but unfortunately not supported yet. You can add a vote for it here to be updated with progress: http://requests.foxycart.com/forums/4162-general-requests/suggestions/34440-gift-certs-vouchers
  • Thanks @fc_adam

looks like that's been in the works for a while - are there any 3rd party FC partners that you guys recommend to fill the gap in the meantime?
  • fc_jedfc_jed FoxyCart Team
    @TiffaniH

Unfortunately, we don't have an existing integration that offers gift certificates. As Adam mentioned it's in the roadmap. As much as we want to address every user's needs, we try to allocate our resources to the most pressing issues at hand. We're in the midst of rebuilding our admin and shipping functionalities, so our hands are pretty full. I'll bring this up with the team though, to hopefully move this up the queue, but I can't make any guarantees.

I wish I had better news, but hopefully sooner than later we will be able to address gift certificates/vouchers or at least coupons with balances.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited March 2016
    @TiffaniH,

Some people have tackled this in the past by setting up a whole stack of different coupons, and then either manually or automatically sending out a new coupon to the customer after their transaction for as close to the remaining amount as possible. It's quite a bit of work, and not a perfect solution - but it can get you close.

With our new Hypermedia API - you could also fake it by creating coupons on demand for the customer remaining balance. If each person had their own unique coupon you could use the hAPI to modify the coupon discount logic to change it to be the remaining balance. That way their existing coupon code would continue to work, and you would just dynamically update the maximum discount it can have. Again, this would be quite a bit of work - but would get you even closer to a proper gift certificate set up. Details on the hAPI at http://api.foxycart.com

Unfortunately with how our coupons work currently, it's not really feasible to use a third-party system to manage coupons for your store.