Coupon restricted by product code is applied with $0 value

SimonSimon Member
Hi,

I have created a coupon to give 10% off (% based on qty).

It works fine when no product code is used, but if I try and restrict usage to a particular code and attempt to apply the coupon to a different product it registers as a valid coupon but with a value of $0.

Any ideas?
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Simon - could you link us to the product you're adding to the cart? Based on what you've described there it sounds like the product code isn't correctly matching what's set on the coupon, so a valid discount amount isn't applying.
  • SimonSimon Member
    Hi Adam,

In this case above the coupon is correctly not matching the codes as the coupon is for sku5 and the product loaded was sku1. The issue is that it is showing the coupon at all as it is not valid. If I change the product to sku5 then it works as expected.

Simon
    @Simon,

Thanks for clarifying. We've taken that approach with the coupons so that the user can know that the coupon is present on the cart, but not yet met all the required criteria to apply a discount. It won't be attached to their actual transaction moving forward when they complete it - only coupons that apply an actual amount are noted as used and included on their receipts.
  • SimonSimon Member
    Thanks for clarifying that Adam.

My first thought is that it is not a great user experience to see a 0 value discount - to me that means something isn't right. Personally I think it would be far clearer if there was a simple message something along the lines of "Your cart does not yet qualify for the coupon". That's a direct message to the user for them to consider.

While I have your attention can I tap you for the easiest way to exclude a certain product from a store-wide sale that is using a coupon. For example, we discount 5% off everything, but we have a line or premium brands where we are strictly controlled on pricing. How I can exclude them without having to explicitly include all the items that are on sale?

Many Thanks for your help
    Simon
    @Simon,

Thanks for your thoughts - I'll discuss those with the team as possible future enhancements to the checkout.
    While I have your attention can I tap you for the easiest way to exclude a certain product from a store-wide sale that is using a coupon. For example, we discount 5% off everything, but we have a line or premium brands where we are strictly controlled on pricing. How I can exclude them without having to explicitly include all the items that are on sale?
    The easiest way would be to have those products that aren't discountable into their own categories - and then only apply coupons to the other categories in your store.
  • SimonSimon Member
    Thanks for the response.

Categories does seem the obvious way to do it, it's just that a future sale might not fit in with the category setup in place at that time, especially as it looks like I can't have a product in multiple categories.

Does the 'restrict usage by product code' option work in tandem with the category restriction? If so, I will likely use some more intelligent product codes so I can target products in a more granular fashion.

A useful addition alongside the restrict option would be an option to only allow a certain number of product codes without having to use categories.

Also, and this might just be me, but using the term restrict for allowable products doesn't seem right. When I first saw it I was looking for clues as to what exactly it meant. "Limit usage to only these products codes" in my mind is much more obvious.

@Simon,
    Does the 'restrict usage by product code' option work in tandem with the category restriction? If so, I will likely use some more intelligent product codes so I can target products in a more granular fashion.
    That's right. A product must match both the category restrictions and the product code restrictions in order to match the given coupon.
    A useful addition alongside the restrict option would be an option to only allow a certain number of product codes without having to use categories.
    Sorry - I'm not sure I follow that one. Would it be possible to clarify what you're meaning there?
    Also, and this might just be me, but using the term restrict for allowable products doesn't seem right. When I first saw it I was looking for clues as to what exactly it meant. "Limit usage to only these products codes" in my mind is much more obvious.
    Thanks for your notes there. I can see what you're saying, and we'll look at finessing the language there to make it clearer.
  • SimonSimon Member
    Hi Adam,

Sorry, it seems that 'restrict' term has actually got me confused ;)

I meant an option to actually restrict a set of product codes from qualifying for the coupon, so the opposite of the restrict option lol. Something like "Exclude these product codes from the coupon"

This would allow granular control of certain products without having to manage categories. With the ability to use wildcards with product codes this would be really powerful.

I think ultimately, it's about not having to change categories when you want to have a customised offer on the website. If I want to discount all my "boots" except a particular brand I would rather have the ability to deny that brand from qualifying rather than having to include all the boots that do qualify.

Hope that is clearer
    Simon
    @Simon,

Ah yes - that does clarify things - thanks. That could be interesting - having an additional option to set whether the product codes defined are what products are valid, or are not valid. I'll create a ticket on our side to look into that as a future enhancement.
  • SimonSimon Member
    Thanks Adam.