Setting Taxes For Provinces (Canada)

atom_443atom_443 Member
in General edited June 2016
Hello all,

Wondering if the "Local" selector is the best option for setting HST/GST in Canada, as the provinces have differing tax rates. The local option is described as being for a specific city. Odd that Reuters etc. does not automatically calculate HST in Canadian provinces that charge it. Am I missing something that would be simpler than using "Local" tax rate to set each one individually?
Tagged:
Comments
  • Nevermind I answered my own stupid question. All good!
  • fc_romanfc_roman Member, FoxyCart Team
    Hi @atom_443,

You are right, "Local" is the city-level option. For provinces and territories you would choose "Region". I have just tried BC and AB: taxes were calculated as 7%+5% for BC and 5% for AB. You will need to not only create the taxes, but to apply them to relevant categories, too.

Let us know if you run into any other issues.
  • fc_romanfc_roman Member, FoxyCart Team
    edited June 2016
    Glad you've found a solution. Let us know if you need anything else.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @atom_443,

Worth noting, in our latest version 2.0, taxes can be calculated automatically for US and Canadian based customers, based on their address. More information on that here: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/taxes#foxycart_default_automatic_tax_rates_in_the_us_and_ca

If you're using that and not seeing correct rates, please let us know and we'd be happy to take a look.