"Apply to Shipping and Handling" setting applicable to all tax types but only showing up for global

fileeefileee Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited August 2016
Hey there,

I fear i have found a severe bug or misconfiguration in Foxycart regarding tax calculation. Basically we have 2 nearly identical shops (one currently configured for Single-sign in and the other for guest-only checkout). If i put the EXACT same product in both shops i see different values for taxes and after digging into the cause of this, i found that the taxes are not applied to the shipping in the same way.

I prepared here some images for you, that should make it simple to understand the problem. You see 2 screenshots for each Shop.

http://imgur.com/a/WiJlA

See that the taxes are applied for the shipping on Shop A but not for Shop B (although as you can see the settings are absolutely equal!). Don't worry also the category for the product is defintely correct and the same.

I see that the checkbox to apply taxes to shipping is not always visible in the admin panel. It seems it is only visible for global taxes or so. Could it be that you changed this and internally Shop A still has this flag set to true in your database??

As a short quick fix could you just enable the taxes for shipping in our shop B? We wanted to release today :P The shop domain for the non working Shop B is "fileeepremium". Shop name is "fileee". For Shop A(where it works correctly) the domain is just "fileee"
Tagged:
Comments
  • HA!!! I fixed it.

Indeed you should update your UI, because the "Apply to Shipping and Handling:" checkbox is only visible if i select global type for taxes. Now what i did is i changed the typ to global -> activated the flag -> save -> revert back the typ to european union (where no such setting is shown) -> save and voila: We have european union type WITH "Apply to Shipping and Handling:" to true.

So as a quick fix it is working now for us and i'm happy. But needless to say you might want to change the UI here.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @fileee,

Thanks for the comprehensive post and screenshots, as always your thorough posts are extremely helpful!

The "apply to shipping and handling" checkbox is not displayed there on purpose, because you've selected the "tax is calculated automatically" option. By enabling this option - whether or not the tax is applied to shipping should be determined by the automatic tax lookup, rather than a blanket setting from the checkbox. The checkbox for applying taxes to shipping should be visible for all rates, except with that "tax is calculated automatically" option is enabled.

It sounds like though from your experience that the European automatic rates is taking that into consideration still when it shouldn't be. I'll create a ticket to look into that as quickly as we can.
  • Ah okay, yes that was my second thought that this is on purpose and just still used internally :) However if you change that, could you PLEASE tell us, because then we need to check if our calculations are still correct. If the taxes are still applied afterwards to the shipping i guess it should be fine.
    @fileee,

Sure thing - we've got this thread noted on the ticket, so we'll reach out as we're able to make progress on a fix.
    @fileee,

Quick update - we've just rolled out a change to ensure the "applies to shipping and handling" checkbox is always shown for the EU tax rates, whether set to automatic or not. Thanks for your patience.