Two flat-rate shipping options?

Hello,

We need to have a FREE shipping option, and a $15.00 Express shipping option on our checkout. These are flat rate prices for the entire US regardless of the order size or items ordered.

I saw some complex javascript stuff in the wiki, but hopefully I don't need to get into that.

Is there an easy way to accomplish this simple shipping setup?

Thanks!
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Epotratz,

We'd recommend working with our custom shipping endpoint feature, which allows you to set up your own custom shipping rates that the customer can select between. You can see details on that feature here: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/shipping#custom_shipping_endpoint
  • @fc_adam, thanks for the reply, but wholly cow that is a lot of work!

Is there really no way to just provide a second flat rate shipping option? We don't need any live rates or calculation to take place. Just $0 or $15 option.

@Epotratz,

Unfortunately right now that is the best way to create multiple flat rates for a store. I'm sorry that we don't have a native feature-set for achieving it right now - but it is something we're working towards as we know it's a common request for stores.

If you're not able to set up a server-side endpoint like that - you can use the javascript snippet which allows for multiple flat rates as well. It's been replaced by the custom endpoint I noted above so we recommend the custom endpoint over the snippet when it's possible to use it - but the snippet can still be used in the interim.
  • @fc_adam,

We are processing subscription orders, and based on what I'm reading, the javascript snippet will not work with subscription orders?

Regarding the custom endpoint option, does this require an external server? We really don't want to rely on an external server or rate calculations to process our orders, which is the main reason we want to use static flat-rate options.

• fc_romanfc_roman Member, FoxyCart Team
    @Epotratz,

The JavaScript-based modification snippets will not work with recurring charges, as the browser is not involved after the first transaction.
    Regarding the custom endpoint option, does this require an external server?
    External to FoxyCart, that is, but not to you, as it can be the same server where your website is already running. Plus, if you are planning on querying USPS, UPS, and/or FedEx from your server, this also falls into "external". There is no requirement to sign up for yet another service with yet another provider.

The shipping endpoint may look intimidating at first, but the examples should serve as passable starting point.
  • @fc_roman

We won't be connected to Fedex, USPS, UPS, etc., since we don't want dependancy on an external server for checkout. It also introduces lag, potential errors, and interface clutter that reduces the checkout conversion.

When I hear terms like "custom endpoint", "helper libraries" , "JSON payload" it goes completely over my head -- these are all foreign terms to me. Typically, If something requires requires an "API" or "javascript", I outsource it, but I'm not sure what a "custom endpoint" is.

Is it essentially an API between Foxycart and a server with custom shipping values?? Our site will be hosted on Webflow, which I don't believe can support this type of thing, but I'm not sure. (@fc_josh any clue on this?)

This still seems quite over-technical and resource heavy just for introducing two static shipping options.

Thanks again for the help.

@Epotratz,

I think I can understand how your are seeing the shipping endpoint and all the associated Greek words like "JSON payload".

Yes, the shipping endpoint is a way to create a dialog between FoxyCart, which sends the cart snapshot to the file on your end, and the file on your end (= the endpoint), which then replies with «OK, based on what you are telling me about the order, you should display shipping options A, B, and C with the rates $D, $E, and $F.»

The shipping endpoint is currently the only solution to offering more than one flat rate at once.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
  • Ok, I will get a developer on it.

If there is a way to avoid a request to another server, LMK. The answer is ALWAYS going to be $0 or $5 shipping. Seems like there should be a way to tell Foxycart the "answer" without actually needing to send a request to a server.

@Epotratz,

Sorry that we don't have a simple solution for you here. For what it's worth - we know that it is more difficult than it should be right now to set up even simple tiered flat rates like you're wanting, and we're working towards making it possible within the administration. Unfortunately it's still something coming in the future.
  • I'm going to be needing to use the custom shipping endpoint feature as well. Can you let me know whether the url to the script on my website has to be https:// or whether http:// is OK? Thanks
    @njwfx,
    An http:// value is currently as acceptable as an https:// one for the custom shipping endpoint url: in STORE » shipping.
  • great - thanks!
  • @fc_adam,

Any further development on adding a flat-rate charge for international orders? Perhaps a "tax" that could add a flat $ or % amount to the international order?

We're still not wanting to implement the endpoint feature for a number of reasons, so looking for alternatives.

Thanks guys!
    @Epotratz,

Unfortunately we don't have any news on that front yet. Updating our shipping functionality is still towards the top of our roadmap and something we're wanting to tackle as soon as our development schedule allows. Sorry we don't have a better solution for you currently.
  • @fc_adam,

It seems the best thing we can do at this point is just manually add an item of $10 to an existing subscription as a new item? Or $10 shipping charge?

@Epotratz,

Adding a separate product would probably be the best work-around for right now. You may also then want to add some styling to the cart/checkout to prevent any shipping charge products from being able to be removed from the cart if the customer makes use of a subtoken checkout to update their details.
  • @fc_adam,

Ok, noted.

Any issue using the Shipping field to manually input a flat fee? (i.e., in OrderDesk once the subscription comes through)?
    @Epotratz,

Good question. When the subscription renews, it uses the category settings to determine what the shipping charges should be, so any custom shipping costs will be lost.