Tax Included

paulkoanpaulkoan Member
in Help edited March 2009
Hello all,

I have been looking at the tax part of foxy. In Australia, prices are generally inclusive of tax (GST), however the tax component needs to be displayed on the receipt (only).

I am currently passing through tax inclusive prices, with a 10% tax in the category, which then adds it at the end - not what I want but expected.

However, if I pass through tax excluded prices, then the cart does not show the inclusive prices and the real price isn't displayed until the checkout page.

What is the best way do go about doing this?

Thanks,

Paul
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi Paul.
    That's something we hadn't thought of. Can you describe in a little more detail exactly what would show where?

What about customers who aren't in Australia? Do they have to pay the GST? The issue is that we're basing tax calculations on the country. Since the country isn't known until checkout, that's where taxes would be applied.
  • PhilPhil Member
    edited March 2009
    Hey guys,

Thought I'd throw my two cents into this discussion.

First up, just to be clear, the 10% GST in Australia is generally calculated as a component of the total price. For example, if I buy an emu and it costs $50.00, then the GST component of the total is $4.55 (i.e. 50.00/11).

On a receipt (or invoice) the above example generally looks like this:
    Line Item 1
    $20.00
    Line Item 2
    $30.00

GST (incl.)
    $4.45
    Total
    $50.00

Currently with FoxyCart if we (i.e. Australians) have a GST-based tax it'll add 10% to the total rather than include it as a component of the total. As seen above the maths is pretty simple to do GST-inclusive amounts; just divide the total by 11.

Customers outside Australia don't incur a GST, but this can work with the (awesome new) region-specific tax system you guys have. As almost everyone in Australia accepts the majority of goods and services have a 10% GST component it doesn't particularly matter that it only appears at the checkout.

Finally (sorry for the big post) my suggestion would be to have a checkbox in the admin whereby you can select if you want the GST calculated as a component of the total (i.e. inclusive).
  • My customer does not generally ship out of Australia for web orders, so that part of it is less of a concern.

Because GST (the Australia sales tax) is a flat 10% and consistent throughout the country, it is included in any price you see as an end customer. This is the same as the UK. Business to business quotes often have GST excluded, but if it were included and indicated as such, it wouldn't matter much.

Dealing with the Australia only scenario, the fix could be relatively straightforward - add a "tax included in price" check box to the tax setup, and instead of adding the tax, just add a line indicating the tax. Quite often you see receipts like this:
    Total:     $200.00
    Inc GST: $  18.18

The tax must be declared on a tax receipt even when included. Here is another way:
    23010287	1	BlueAnt V1 Voice Control Bluetooth Headset (091004)	$129.10	$129.10
                                                                                        Sub-Total Inc GST: 	$129.10
                                                                                       Shipping & Handling: 	$16.50
                                                                                                      Total GST: 	$13.24
                                                                                               Total Inc GST: 	$145.60

Note that while GST is a line item, it isn't added to the total as it is already represented in the price.

To take it the next step, and manage international customers, you would need something like a negative tax to remove the GST at checkout.

The priority for my customer would be for the products to carry GST in the price and have that displayed at checkout, and if required, exclude non-Australian customers to make it happen.

Cheers,

Paul
  • @uniqueIntention

I wasn't sure how the region specific tax system would help here. As brett said, the region isn't understood until checkout, whereas the cart would need to have GST included prices displayed. So the real price an international customer gets is less than the amount seen in the cart.

I think this is the duty of the website owner to inform ("Please note, prices are inclusive of GST, GST is removed for international customers at checkout"), and then the problem is solved.

I'd like to see Tax inclusive prices working pretty quickly, so whatever is the fastest path.

We could either pass the prices in with GST included and foxycart remove GST for international customers, or we pass prices through without GST and foxycart add the GST component in when displaying in the cart (then take it off again once the international customer is identified).

I'd be happy to have a cludge too - where I don't use any part of the tax system in foxycart, as long as I can add a line saying
    "Inc GST ".$total / 11

on the receipt.
  • PhilPhil Member
    Maybe I misunderstand the whole region-specific tax thingy, but I was under the impression that if I apply a 10% GST on products for Australian customers only that'd solve the problem.

Using the emu example again, if I buy 1 emu @ $50.00 within Australia (as determined by the country field in the checkout) then I'll get a GST component amount of $4.45 in the cart. If I were to buy said emu from the US, then the GST wouldn't apply, but as the price of the emu is set as $50.00 everyone's happy, right?

Brett/Luke if I've misinterpreted your region-specific tax implementation please let me know.

@Paul - agreed that this would be nice to see happen short-term, but from memory I brought this up in May last year and it never really got anywhere. Perhaps a 'hacked' solution might be best for the time being.
    Cludging it:
    You could likely do that by using the custom email receipt script ( http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration ) for the email receipt, and some javascript and the JSON on the actual receipt (and potentially on the checkout and even the cart as well).

If you need something in a hurry and have a little javascript skill, that'll likely be your best bet.

As far as the greater question, thanks for the clarification. That makes a lot of sense, but I think the issue is with how to _not_ include the GST for non-AUS customers. This would still have to happen on checkout (when the country is determined), and everything I can think of seems a little awkward.

Setting a global tax for the GST, then a negative tax for all countries _other_ than AUS might work. It might confuse the customers to see a negative number on their tax calculation, but you could name the tax (in FC) something like "Outside-of-Australia Tax Discount" and that'd make sense... (We'd also probably need to allow a single tax band to apply to multiple countries with a multi-select box, or you'd have to have 100+ different taxes just to say "everything _except_ Australia".)

I think the underlying issue, however, is where you're actually adding the tax. Are you adding an item to cart with price=50? Or with price=45.55 ? This might present a significant change to how the products/cart and taxes interact, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a quick fix.

The other possibility would be to allow a country tax rate to be set as a "default", which could be applied even on the cart and checkout, prior to the country selection. This might be easier than a global tax then a negative tax... though depending on how the price is entered in the first place this might not make sense.

While we're discussing, could one of you please vote for it here: http://requests.foxycart.com/
    And the other one of you (and all other Aussies) please vote for it?
    Thanks.
  • PhilPhil Member
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we're making this way more complicated than it need be.

The cost of an emu is $50.00, regardless if you're buying it in Sydney, New York or Timbuktu. If you're purchasing it from Australia you have to pay a GST component of the total which is $4.45. I would have thought that you simply pass the price of the emu to the cart as $50.00 and then based on region-specific taxes it'll either leave the tax column at $0.00 for non-Australian buyers or display $4.45 in GST if you're in Australia.

It might be hard for people outside of Australia to break the mindset that GST isn't (always) added to a price - it's simply calculated as a component of the total. Therefore wouldn't it be just as simple to take the total and divide by 11 to get the GST amount? Suppose in the meantime this could be done by JS.

JS suggestions most welcome!
    Ok so that's really interesting. It might be a fundamental difference in how I (as an American) understand sales taxes.

So it's either:
    $50 AU$, which would really be $45.55 + $4.45
    or...
    $50.

I was thinking (and Paul seemed to suggest) that if you were selling to a non-Aussie it'd be $45.55, not $50, since you're not including the tax. In the US there are laws (which I know exist but I don't know the details) that prohibit things like charging tax when you shouldn't. In this case... it's definitely different, and I don't know the AUS laws, but which scenario is how businesses should handle it? I could see some businesses just saying, "Forget it, I'm just going to charge $50 across the board, regardless of taxes."

But I'm not sure that'd address all the laws and requirements that people might face. Thoughts?
  • PhilPhil Member
    Actually sorry I'm an idiot; really having one of those days. Paul is quite correct that international customers don't need to pay GST.

Didn't read his post correctly and went off on a stupid tangent!

Sorry!!!
  • PhilPhil Member
    edited March 2009
    Time for some redemption!

After properly thinking about the problem, having inclusive taxes won't work particularly well.

How about this:

Have a GST tax option in the admin for Australian buyers at 10%. Then, create a global tax option for everyone else at 0%. All prices displayed at a store need to be ex. GST, or if you're using MODx, have PHx automatically output the incl. GST amount too.

If you're selling a product that is $50.00 (incl. GST), pass the non-GST amount to the cart ($45.45) which will then pick up Australian buyers and add $4.55 to the GST column. For international customers the amount just stays at $45.45 and the GST/tax column displays $0.00.

So very very sorry about my little misadventure before! Hope it didn't confuse you too much.
  • This will work of course, but doesn't solve the problem entirely from my perspective.

So on the website we show "$50.00", however we send "$45.45" to foxy, which shows $45.45 in the cart, and then at checkout we add the GST back on to get back to the originally displayed price of $50.00.

The problem with this is we have customers seeing the price at "Add Cart" alter when it gets to the cart, and then alter again at checkout.

The reason for it changing is obvious, but still jarring. Either the tax is included all the way through and displayed at the end, or excluded all the way through and added at the end. Including it, then excluding it, then including it will leave people suspecting something dodgy is going on.

Of course even with my preferred approach, where international customers get the tax removed later, this is exactly what they would see (the price changing as they progress), but this is the exception case for my customer.

If a significant portion of the customers were international, then I would just display all prices tax excluded, and add GST in for Australian customers using the method above. However, they are 99% Australian so a note explaining why the price changes for international customers as the exception makes more sense.

@brett - I think that many people do just have international customers pay for the price+gst, but don't recognise the gst portion when reporting. So both AU and non-AU customer pay the same amount, a portion of which is recognised as GST if the customer is AU. This is a bit underhand imo, as you are effectively charging international customers 10% extra. If there are extra costs associated with international deliveries, then they should be recognised in s&h, not in the original price.

Note that inclusive-of-tax is a pretty common way to show prices outside of the US, so it is worth doing.

"Setting a global tax for the GST, then a negative tax for all countries _other_ than AUS might work. It might confuse the customers to see a negative number on their tax calculation, but you could name the tax (in FC) something like "Outside-of-Australia Tax Discount" and that'd make sense... (We'd also probably need to allow a single tax band to apply to multiple countries with a multi-select box, or you'd have to have 100+ different taxes just to say "everything _except_ Australia".)"

I think what you would have is logic that would limit a single tax to be "inclusive" and for a single country. Anyone not in this country gets the tax component silently removed (ie, don't show it on the receipt at all, deal with it early as a note on the site itself).

So foxy goes:

"Ok, this customer is not in the inclusive tax country, I remove the tax", or "this customer is in the inclusive tax country, show the tax portion".

This is how I have seen other sites work it.

However, it is not going to get my what I want particularly quickly, so I am going to have to try the JSON cludge. Which is entertaining because my JSON knowledge is zero, and js only slightly above zero :)

Any tips would be most welcome (even more welcome would be the option for a non-tax tax in FC where international customers get the same price as Australian customers but Australian customers get a line saying the GST component on the receipt...)
    @paulkoan, would you add to cart with price=50 or price=45.55?

It's definitely a tricky issue that will require a bit of thought. In the meantime please vote for it here:
    http://requests.foxycart.com/pages/general/suggestions/149236-tax-inclusive-prices-tax-rates

As far as the javascript goes... we'd offer more assistance but we're pretty slammed on our end, but here's what I'd recommend:
    - Learn jQuery, figure out how to insert a <tr> with the appropriate <td> elements inside the existing cart table.
    - Learn a super quick bit of JSON to figure out how to access the total price. It's really easy, I promise. Just a little fc_json.total_price should get you the total cart value.
    - Do some quick math to calculate the GST based on the fc_json.total_price.
    - Insert that GST calculation into the cart.

Then you'd need to customize the receipt with the http://wiki.foxycart.com/integration script.

Let us know if you get stuck.
  • Thanks Brett, I have voted.

It is common to have both options. Right now, the prices are stored and displayed with the the tax included, so $50.00.

What I pass to can be either - either I work out the excluded price and pass it to you, or you accept an included price and display the GST on checkout / receipt.

It is certainly simpler for me to pass the included price.

Thanks for the javascript/json tips.

Paul
  • David_AusDavid_Aus Member
    edited May 2009
    Feel free to skip this discussion. Much of the thinking has been superceded by my later contributions.

Nothing like collecting government revenue to keep us all busy! I am developing our own Foxycart/Slideshow Pro integration (thanks very substantially to Stephen Chai via this Forum, and Todd at SSP). Early stage test page (with test gateway) available here http://www.lindagorringecouture.com.au/Bags_Purses_test.html. Lots of tweeking required yet but functional for the most part.

My work around to the GST issue is as follows (haven't attempted the js route yet). Focus here is on presentation to purchaser. This "solution" requires all listed prices on site be GST Inclusive (not an unreasonable requirement for sites with majority domestic sales and a normal retail presentation standard). I have added the following text to the Cart template "Price & Order Total includes GST (10%) but excludes Shipping & Handling. For non-Australian purchasers GST will be deducted from the Product Price at Checkout." immediately after the ^^cart^^ placeholder.
    We have 2 Tax Codes. "GST" for Australia at 10% and "GST Free Exports" at -9.0909% (taking out the GST component of the inclusive listed price), currently set for United States for demonstration purposes. "GST Free Exports" could more flexibly be called "Tax Free Exports". In my limited understanding many countries have such tax arrangements - essentially domestic taxed sales and tax free exports (aka duty free). We can't use Global because that then includes domestic sales. What's required is a non-domestic "tax type" to pickup all non-domestic sales. Other slightly more complicated examples may arise eg. UK VAT which applies across the EU but perhaps not beyond, so they would require a "Non-EU" tax type.
    Under this approach, for Australian domiciled purchasers the GST inclusive price simply flows right through the process untouched ($0 in Tax amounts, more on this shortly). For non-domestic purchasers (use US in my test page) the tax is deducted at Checkout with the correct net figure being charged. Along the way they are reminded that the GST will be deducted at Checkout.
    I hope this work-around assists. To be more complete it requires of the FoxyCart team two important changes:
    1. Creation of one (or more) tax types generically termed "non-domestic" to cover the tax free export sales.
    2. For "Australia" the inclusion of an item titled something like "Includes $xxxx GST". Alternatively, at Checkout (and for Receipt etc) include some script specific to GST type taxes that multiplies the GST inclusive site wide price (an important but not unreasonable pre-requisite to achieve a consistent outcome with least possible complication) to yield the GST component of the price ($5.45 in the above forum examples).

To assist this it may be feasible to have an "Inclusive / Exclusive" selection taxes setup that could handle the different presentations.

Finally, might it also be logical to show the tax field right through the Cart/Checkout/Receipt process. Many countries have national (domestic taxes) in some form and if most FoxyCart users sell most frequently domestically then why not, by default, flow domestic taxes through the process, only removing the taxes (or adding as may be required) by the ultimate domicile of the purchaser. Currently, tax is ignored until checkout when its added on basis of purchaser domicile.

Sorry for the very long posting but would really like this issue resolved. Hoping to have our site live by mid-June and this is a bit of stumbling block.

Congrats on a terrific product and hope this all assists.
    Regards,
    David

PS. A useful GST calculator (Javascript) can be found here if those more JS skilful than I can tweak and apply to assist a resolution. http://www.rapidhosting.com.au/blog/australian-gst-calculator/
  • So how do you work out that a customer is international?

Presumably you have them sign in to SSP first to establish their location?
  • Paul, Brett,
    In actual fact it is more important where you are shipping the goods to than the supposed location of the purchaser. In respect of GST, if you're shipping the goods out of the country within 30 days you can sell it GST free. So the Shipping Address country is the key parameter. This will most often be the same as the purchasers but in the case of a gift may not.

So as we do now for phone orders in our physical store we list prices as inclusive of GST and if the item is being exported we sell as GST free.

Current version of my Add to Cart script divides by 110% the GST Inclusive price from the site thus passing through to the cart the GST exclusive price. Text on Cart template alerts purchaser to the addition of GST at Checkout (if Australian). I adjust the product_price with an amendment to the relevant code as follows: var product_price:Number = product_data[1]/1.1;

This process negates the need for the "non-domestic" tax type as per my previous post and is much simpler.

However, it does require of the FoxyCart team the reinstatement of the proper functioning of the (Australian GST) tax calculation at Checkout. ie. the tax calculation at Checkout should simply be 10% of the then GST exclusive price. At the moment it adds nothing which yields the correct total assuming GST inclusive prices coming in.

Hopefully this is a relatively easy fix and look forward to having this up and running.
    Regards,
  • Yeah I get it. I think?

Your original post states "I have added the following text to the Cart template "Price & Order Total includes GST (10%) but excludes Shipping & Handling. For non-Australian purchasers GST will be deducted from the Product Price at Checkout." immediately after the ^^cart^^ placeholder."

This suggests that the cart price is inclusive of GST until checkout, whereupon the 9.0909% is removed for Non Australians.

The latest post says:

"Current version of my Add to Cart script divides by 110% the GST Inclusive price from the site thus passing through to the cart the GST exclusive price. Text on Cart template alerts purchaser to the addition of GST at Checkout (if Australian). I adjust the product_price with an amendment to the relevant code as follows: var product_price:Number = product_data[1]/1.1;"

This suggests that the cart price is exclusive of GST until checkout, whereupon 10% is added for Australians.

The option of showing the full price on the site, then the exclusive price in the cart, then the price + GST at checkout was discussed earlier in this thread.

The main issue is that the customer has to mentally add the 10% as they are shopping if they are trying to keep within a particular budget - something that US customers probably do quite naturally, but this isn't normal for Australian purchasers.

Your comments do allude to an interesting approach though. I wonder if it would be possible to have more involved tax/pricing calculations in FC.

For example, your original approach speaks of noting to the customer that if they are outside of Australia, the tax will be removed. So one "easy" way of working this out is to have a global inclusive tax amount that is just removed by Foxy regardless of the destination country.

So lets say you are selling widgets at $110 inclusive of local tax.
    In FC you have a "inclusive tax" setting of 10%

At Checkout, the 10% increase is removed from *all* items, so for all countries, the widget is now $100 (you could reflect both prices in the cart).

You then go on to apply whatever country based taxes you have. For Australians, this would be 10% GST, putting the same tax right back on again.

For non-Australians, this would be 0%, leaving the widget at $100.

This way Foxy wouldn't need any complex location specific inclusion rules.

This also means that if you need to deal with multiple tax regimes, you can still have a default included tax.
  • Paul,
    My proposal progressed quite a bit overnight making much of my first (lengthy) post redundant. Please use feel free to test the updated page to follow the process through.

Ideally (and hopefully in time) we can see relevant local taxes (in our case GST) calculated and shown in the Cart, Checkout and Receipt. In the short term I am not so concerned about GST Exclusive prices being shown in the Cart. The purchaser sees the GST Inclusive prices in the site and but for one step (the Cart) at Checkout. The current reminder text in Cart is as follows:
    "Price & Order Total excludes GST (10%) and Shipping & Handling. For Australian purchasers GST will be added at Checkout."
    My main issue at this stage is that Tax is not currently calculated at Checkout and needs to be.

A further issue I haven't tried to address yet is the "Cart Contents" showing on the site page. Haven't set this up yet but if this can show the GST Inclusive total price then I would be less concerned about showing GST Exclusive prices in the Cart proper. Will probably need to work out how to multiply the Cart Order Total by 110% to show the GST inclusive total price. Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
  • Stuck on getting the minicart to show the GST Inclusive total price. Trying some javascript, after calling the Items and Total Price, to multiply by 110% so as to show the GST Inclusive figure. This will assist in presentation of the "real" figure and address some of the earlier concerns posted.

Table is calling okay the items and Total Price (the normal <a ref...>) html code. But script is obviously not working and I am stuck. Can anyone assist please? I intend to hide to GST exclusive figure (fc_total_price) prior to publishing.

My code is as follows:
    <script language="JavaScript"><!--
    		function (form) {
    		var price_ex_gst = new Number (form.fc_total_price.value);
    		var price_incl_gst = new Number (price_ex_gst * 1.1);
    		form.price_incl_gst.value = price_incl_gst.toFixed(2);
    	}
     --></script></p>
    <form>
      <table width="146" border="0" align="right">
      <tbody>
      <tr>
      <td colspan="3" align="center">Your Cart:</td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
      <td width="58" align="right"><span id="fc_quantity">0</span> items</td>
      <td width="41"><span class="fc_clear">$<span id="fc_total_price">0.00</span></span></td>
      <td width="43">$<span id="price_incl_gst">0.00</span> (Incl. GST)</td>

</tr>
      </tbody>
      </table>
    </form>

Assistance much appreciated, thanks.
    edited May 2009
    Hi David and Paul.
    Thanks for the great dialogue. I think there are definitely some interesting ideas starting to emerge, and I'm getting a better grasp (personally) on what was previously a very foreign concept.

David, as far as the minicart, that's kind of just a quick and easy way to display some values. What would probably make things much easier for you would be to use the JSON, which allows a _lot_ more flexibility. Have you looked into that? Go ahead and start a new thread for that one, as it's not super related to the "tax inclusive" discussion, and we'll help as much as we can.

http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:json
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:jsonp
    edited May 2009
    Brett,
    Thanks for the redirection to JSON. I'll look into it.

As far as the GST issue is concerned, I actually don't think its as difficult as it might at first seem. The key though is to take a consistent approach.
    First, a bit of additional background that might help the whole thing make a bit more sense. Not all goods are subject to GST (exempt items include fresh food and second hand goods for example). To avoid confusing us poor Aussies the bureaucrats of the day decided that all listed prices had to either include the GST ($50.00) or to show both components (eg. $45.45 + $4.55 GST). Not surprisingly most retailers show the straight $50 option. But, importantly all receipts must show the breakdown as follows (or similar variations of):
    Item $50.00

Subtotal $45.45
    GST $4.55
    Total $50.00

My recommended solution is as follows:
    1. From the site (assuming it lists GST Inclusive prices), pass through to Cart the GST exclusive (ex-GST) price by dividing the site listed price by 110%. Alternately the site may contain both prices (perhaps with the ex-GST price in the data and not shown) and the ex-GST price is passed through.
    2. Ideally, but not critically at this point in my view, the Cart would show details in a similar form to the above (ie. Item, Subtotal, GST, Total). I also don't think its critical that we don't know the destination country of the goods at this stage. We firstly have to abide by local laws and international purchasers will or should be aware of the relevant tax and customs implications.
    3. Prior to Checkout the Mini-cart can show the GST inclusive total price, consistent with the listed prices on the site, by reapplying the GST to the fc_total_price by multiplying by 110%. This assists in avoiding confusion to the shopper and is easily done (I hope).
    4. At Checkout the fc_total_price passed through will be the GST exclusive price to which the Australian tax (GST) of 10% will be applied in a correct presentation of the details. Note however that currently no tax is being calculated for this (and needs to be). If the goods are being exported outside Australian then the retailer may sell the goods GST Free. FC will correctly action this by reference to the Country and apply tax accordingly. In the case of GST, it will not be applied and the ex-GST price will be payable. The only catch I see is that it is the destination country that is the key determinant, not the country of the purchaser ie. is it an export or not? In the case of, say, gifts this may lead to the purchaser unnecessarily being charged GST. For us, we would handle this at the backend and refund the GST to the purchaser. For the relatively few occurrences I don't see this as being a problem.

I haven't got as far as checking the Receipt details. Currently, it shows nothing for Tax but I assume this is because tax (Australian) is nil (not calculated) at Checkout. I assume also that if calculated the tax will be detailed adequately on the receipt.

This approach is fairly straight forward and requires little action on FCs part. Consistency of approach by stores is the key, with some relatively minor adjustments to prices passed through.

For the sake of completeness, for retailers not inclined or able to make the GST Inclusive/Exclusive adjustments to prices passed through, they can simply pass through the GST Inclusive price and set a Tax Rate of 0% (called GST Included or something similar). Thus the full price will flow all the way through without adjustment and without tax being detailed on Checkout or Receipt. Not my preferred approach nor is it completely above-board but it does keep things very simple.

Hope that's all helpful and look forward to a resolution soon.

Regards,
    David
    Hi David.
    Just a heads up that "soon" might not be as soon as you might like. All the features for our next release are already set, but we'll get to this as soon as we can. The tax system actually has a bit of work to be done to it, so this piece of it will go with some other improvements.

That said, here's my take:
    -- We allow negative taxes, just because it'd be kind of interesting flexibility.
    -- We allow taxes to be set for countries either inclusively (current functionality) or exclusively (all countries except...).
    -- We allow multiple countries (or states/provinces) to be selected per tax, instead of the one country per tax functionality we have.
    -- We allow taxes to be applied by default.

I think we could actually avoid the entire inclusive/exclusive price functionality. You could set an Australia GST tax, and apply it by default. So you'd add the price (less GST) to the cart. The cart will display with the price and the GST, as desired. On checkout, if the destination country is _not_ Australia then the Australia-only GST will be removed.

If we change the mini-cart behavior, it will be to include any default taxes. That said, we might not change that, as it'd be easy to replicate that functionality using the JSON/JSONP support

Does that sound like it'd work for you?
  • Brett,

That sounds good to me - so we would present the price inclusive of tax, but add to the cart exclusive of tax. You will apply the default tax as the item is added and so display the "inclusive" price (I guess both prices are displayed).

Then that tax is removed if the order is not being shipped to the default tax zone (and the appropriate tax is applied).

This will definitely work for what I need.

Thanks,

Paul
    edited May 2009
    Brett,
    Thanks for the update. Yes, I agree. GST is not that different to other national taxes and current capabilities cover much of the requirements if we feed it the right information (GST exclusive prices).

Some clarification though please. Regarding your four points following "here's my take" - are these all current version functionalities or to be available in the next release you refer to?

I have reviewed all my tax and category settings and taxes are calculating correctly (my apologies for earlier stating that Australian taxes were not calculating). As far as the Checkout is concerned taxes are calculating and presenting fine. I must still be doing something wrong though because I cannot get GST (or Taxes) to show on the Cart as suggested above. I must be missing something basic. Any hints on likely errors/omissions?

Thanks.
    Hi David.
    My 4 points were things we'll need to do next time we modify the taxes. At this point, I think the biggest issue you have is that the taxes aren't displayed in the cart (right?). If you could get the taxes to display by default in the cart, you'd be ok for now, right?

You could kind of fake it at this point with a little javascript. Find the cart total in the JSON, insert a <tr> with child <td> elements where appropriate and insert your "fake" GST as necessary. It's not too difficult, but if you're not comfortable with javascript it might sound overwhelming. Thoughts?
  • Thanks Brett.

Thought so. Yes, I would certainly prefer the prices in the Cart were the same as listed on the site and added by the customer so would love a solution to that. But, as I've indicated previously it's not a "deal-breaker". I've addressed it in the meantime with some text re GST exclusive prices and most Australian customers (our primary market) will recognise and readily accept that.

I'm continuing to try to sort out the mini-cart GST inclusive prices and will have a look at editing the cart total to "fake" the GST inclusive price. But yes, it is a bit overwhelming for someone with aspirations far greater than skill levels, particularly when it comes to the more technical coding and scripting (at least its technical for me). But I think the solution will be a good one so worth persisting.

I'm sure I'll be seeking your assistance again. In the meantime any helpful pointers that occur to you would be much appreciated. I think I've exhausted the forums and wiki as far as guidance on these matters are concerned but please feel free to let me know if there are particular references I should be studying.

Thanks again and cheers,
    David
    As far as your mini-cart issues go, there's another thread that's been dormant for a week or two I think. ... Give this thread a follow:
    http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=1182
  • Brett,
    Spent way too long trying to use some js to revalue the minicart total price figure. Must be doing something basically wrong. Have investigated the JSON but don't know how to connect the dots to achieve a full application.
    Have some success via another route. Was investigating the foxycart.includes.js and found a reference to the minicart in line 30 (right at the bottom. Applied a multiplier of 1.1 (to convert fc_total_price to GST inclusive) as follows:
    jQuery("#fc_total_price").html(""+fc_CurrencyFormatted((a.total_price)*1.1));
    $ figure in minicart now returns the GST inclusive figure and seems not to affect anything else which is essentially what I'm after. I'm assuming this foxycart.includes .js file now needs to be served from our server as I am cureently testing. Docs qualifications/warnings about such setup noted but I am comfortable at this stage given the very minor amendment required.

Your thoughts/assistance much appreciated.
    Kind regards,
    David
    edited June 2009
    Hi David.
    Yup, you can host your own foxycart_includes. Just read the notes here:
    http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:includes:foxycart_includes_js#serving_foxycart_includes.js_from_your_server

That's definitely probably the quickest and easiest way to go.

Edit: Haha, "definitely probably". Gotta love that certainty!
  • Brett,
    Had seen and noted the docs on "self-serving" foxycart_includes.js. As far as the minicart and full cart are concerned this set-up works fine. However, on further testing through Checkout yesterday noticed that cart contents (items, prices etc.) don't seem to be coming through to Checkout. Two apparent consequences of this:- 1. Checkout looks for a Purchase Order No. (ie. no payment required); 2. Login hanging on returning client.

Is this a known issue? Work around at this stage is to have the Checkout page call the "normal" foxycart hosted foxycart_includes.js. Have deleted the minicart from this page to avoid confusion (makes sense anyway but with normal js file would return the GST exclusive figures). On this basis Checkout seems to work fine. Not sure about implications of referencing two different versions of foxycart_includes.js? Hopefully none too critical.

Cheers,