No Shipping on Certain Items

lablab Member
Hi!

Besides the public facing normal cart and checkout, my client also sells the products as wholesale on a separate wholesale page. When she makes a sale in person, like at a conference, and the customer takes the product with them, their order is still sent through the cart process BUT obviously, they don't need to pay for shipping if they have the product in-hand. Is there a way to trigger "no shipping / cash on hand" options in the checkout process? I'm thinking it has to be done during the quantity selection process pre-checkout, but the client is suggesting it be done on the checkout screen.
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_romanfc_roman Member, FoxyCart Team
    Hi @lab,

Interesting question, thank you.

This "cash on hand" could be just the scenario for the purchase order payment option.

You could do the following:
    1. Enable Purchase order closer to the bottom of your STORE » payment screen. This payment option will then be available in the checkout, and you can change its label to whatever would make it more recognizable to the right group of customers — all label microcopies live in TEMPLATES » language, under "Checkout".
    2. Create a category for the products sold using purchase orders. While configuring the category, make sure to set "how will these products be delivered?" to "No shipping".
    Does this look like an answer you could work with?
  • lablab Member
    Hi! Thanks for the reply.

This is a helpful start, but I am a bit confused. Given the above scenarios, could you walk through the process a customer would take to fill out an order that is both no shipping and paid for by cash on hand?
  • fc_romanfc_roman Member, FoxyCart Team
    Hi @lab,

Here's how I imagine it based on my understanding of your description in the original post:
    she makes a sale in person … and the customer takes the product … their order is still sent through the cart process
    The customer would have to follow a link like this: https://YOURSTORE.foxycart.com/cart?name=Offline+sale&category=Offline&price=123, where the price matches the value of the transaction.

The checkout can be performed on their behalf from your side, too, after the sale - if their shipping address is known.

In the checkout they'd select "Pay by purchase order" rather than "Pay by credit card" and enter a note that would help you identify the buyer and/or the order. (The "PO Number" label can be changed in TEMPLATES » language.)

How badly am I misunderstanding the process? Please add your corrections and we'll try again.

A note on the previous post:
    The shipping option for category "Offline" can be set to "Picked up by the customer" rather than "No shipping", as this matches the description better.
  • lablab Member
    edited October 2016
    Thanks, @fc_roman!

I've submitted the following process proposal to the client, which is how I think it will work, based off of what you said:

1. At the top of the wholesale page, there will be a question: "Will this order be shipped?"
    - If "yes" is selected, it displays the product list that has shipping turned on for those categories.
    - If "no" is selected, it displays the product list which has shipping turned off for those categories so they won't be charged for that.

2. They enter the quantities, and click "Submit order".

3. They're then at the checkout page where they'd select "Pay by purchase order" (I think we can change this wording to something more appropriate?) rather than "Pay by credit card" and enter an identifier note thus bypassing payment if they paid cash on hand.

Is what I'm suggesting above actually possible?

Another Question: What's the risk of having the Pay by purchase order field exposed to anyone? If someone who is purchasing online selects that instead of pay by credit card, will the only risk be their order is submitted but not fulfilled since they never paid (and didn't buy via COD)?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @lab,

What you described is possible. Part 1 will largely fall on how you set up the ordering page. For the two options for whether it's shipped or not - you could have the products have a different category set. If it's meant to be shipped, then use a category that charges shipping, and if they're not, use a category that is set to "picked up by the customer" or "no shipping", or even a $0 flat rate shipping fee.
    Another Question: What's the risk of having the Pay by purchase order field exposed to anyone? If someone who is purchasing online selects that instead of pay by credit card, will the only risk be their order is submitted but not fulfilled since they never paid (and didn't buy via COD)?
    That's right - if the field is generally available to online orders too - the customer could select that option and check out without paying anything. Your fulfilment team would need to keep an eye out for this and handle those orders accordingly.

Alternatively, you could also look at hiding the purchase order field for any order that isn't intended to see it as an option.