Future subscription with paypal, v1.1

Hi foxy team!

Can you please explain the next situation. I have a configured foxycart v1.1 in a test mode.
I tried to test future subscriptions (with sub_startdate param from the future).

When i add this param my checkout form looks like this http://take.ms/1MUb7. I've created this order 11th Nov with a startdate = 13th Nov. The next step looks like this http://take.ms/kabmQ. Transaction looks like http://take.ms/ghNT0.

The first question - how should i read this text "Future Subscriptions: -$6.00", "Future Subscriptions Handling: $0.00"?

Next, when i clicks paypal during my payment process, i'm immediately redirected to my site, not to paypal site as it does when you buy subscription immediately. Datafeed processed immediately as well. But when i go to paypal sandbox there is no even an appropriate payment for foxycart order.

So my question is - can i really test future subscription with paypal account in test mode? and how can i be sure that payment is really processed by paypal?

Thanks in advance.
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @anton,

Good questions.
    The first question - how should i read this text "Future Subscriptions: -$6.00", "Future Subscriptions Handling: $0.00"?
    As the subscription you've added is starting in the future - there isn't any charges for today. While the item total is $6, that amount is to be charged at a future date, so it's taken off in the "Future Subscriptions" negative line item.

We've changed how we approach this in our latest 2.0 version - now display a "Today's charge" grouping and then a "Next charge" grouping. For your example transaction, todays charge would be all $0, and the next charge is where you'd see the $6.
    So my question is - can i really test future subscription with paypal account in test mode? and how can i be sure that payment is really processed by paypal?
    Unfortunately our legacy PayPal integration doesn't support future dated subscriptions.
  • @fc_adam thank you for the answer.
    Unfortunately our legacy PayPal integration doesn't support future dated subscriptions.
    Even for real environment?

How then user can pay for this future subscription? Only by card http://take.ms/fWOx8?

And if yes, can i configure checkout by such logic - if start_date is not today date, then hide paypal option at all?
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @anton. Any chance you can upgrade to 2.0 and use the PayPal Reference Transaction integration? 2.0's got _tons_ of subscription improvements, including some automatic dunning, and the PayPal RT support makes PayPal subscriptions work just like credit card subscriptions.
  • @brett i can upgrade to 2.0 and i'm going to do that.

Should i change some settings on 2.0 version to get it work (future subscription) or it will work from scratch?
    @anton,

Awesome - along with getting you a heap of sub improvements, 2.0 also includes a whole stack of other improvements too!

When on 2.0, you'll need to switch to using the PayPal Express Checkout (Reference Transactions) option on the "Payments" page of your store's FoxyCart administration. This is a brand new integration for PayPal over the legacy integration that is used for 1.1 and older. This new integration allows us to manage the subscription within FoxyCart, which gives a heap of benefits over the legacy approach which had the subscription managed by PayPal.

To make use of Reference Transactions, you'll need to get that enabled for your PayPal account. We have details on doing that on our wiki: https://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/paypal/express_checkout#subscriptions_and_recurring_billing_with_paypal_express_checkout - part 3 of that section relates to setting them up. You can start that process now while you're working on upgrading to 2.0, and then once it's enabled and you're upgraded, you can switch over.
  • antonanton Member
    edited November 2016
    Thanks. I'll try.

@fc_adam one more question. I tried to test future subscription with 2.0 version. I set start_date as tomorrow so tomorrow i'll figure out how it works, will paypal make a transaction with money tomorrow.

The question - is it ok that datafeed makes callback immediately with full information about transaction? can i trust this data? i mean, of course i will mark such transaction as "waiting for payment" and when real money comes from paypal i will activate subscription for the user. How do i know that paypal transaction is done? do i get some callback again from foxycart that tells me about it?

edited November 2016
    @anton,

For a future dated subscription - you'll get the datafeed straight away as you noted - but then you'll also get one for each renewal of the subscription as well. So if the start date is tomorrow - you'll get another datafeed for the subscription tomorrow showing that the customer was charged.
    I tried to test future subscription with 2.0 version. I set start_date as tomorrow so tomorrow i'll figure out how it works, will paypal make a transaction with money tomorrow.
    Did you do that with the legacy PayPal integration, or the new Reference Transactions PayPal integration? Only the latter will work with future dated subscriptions, the legacy integration doesn't work for those. With 2.0, there are two different integrations for PayPal, marked as "Legacy" and "Reference Transactions" to differentiate between them.
  • antonanton Member
    edited November 2016
    @fc_adam cool.

My store used "Accept payments using your PayPal Express Checkout (Legacy) account" option. Along with this i checked one more option "Accept payments using your PayPal Express Checkout (Reference Transactions) account".

I tried to uncheck Lecacy option, but i got the error that i have active subscriptions and i can not uncheck this option unless i cancel all active subscriptions.

Can i use both these options together? Because i don't want to cancel all active subscriptions.

And one more question - in what time future subscription will get processed? I mean, sub_startdate param is a day, not exact time. For example i set start date to 20 Nov today 16 Nov at 14:00. At what exact time future subscription will be processed on 20 Nov?

@anton,

Yes you can - if both are selected, we default to using the Reference Transactions integration for all new customers, and the legacy integration is used for those already paying by that method.

Unfortunately it's not possible to automatically migrate customers from the legacy PayPal integration to being on Reference Transactions - so if you did want to pull all customers over, you would have to start new subscriptions with them before cancelling their old ones.
  • Perfect. Thanks. Now i got all information and will try to do what i want.

Thanks guys one more time for explaining.
    Awesome, we're happy to help!
  • what about this question i asked
    And one more question - in what time future subscription will get processed? I mean, sub_startdate param is a day, not exact time. For example i set start date to 20 Nov today in 16 Nov at 14:00. At what exact time future subscription will be processed on 20 Nov?
  • fc_romanfc_roman Member, FoxyCart Team
    @anton,

Sorry about skipping over your question earlier.

Subscriptions are generally processed at 5-6am Pacific time.
    @anton,

I wanted to quickly follow-up on this thread, we've just rolled out a small change that hides automatically the legacy PayPal integration if there are future subscriptions present in the cart.