Stripe - The zip code you supplied failed validation

I would just like to double check that nothing appears to be awry re a declined payment.
Previously I only had Paypal set up for my client and now Stripe is active too. A customer, who had previously bought products through Paypal as recently as 31st October, has had their card rejected by Stripe when using exactly the same address and postcode details.

Thank you

Louise
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @looped.
    That sounds like a normal address validation issue, indicating that Stripe is configured to reject transactions if the credit card's bank says the zip code provided by the customer doesn't match what the bank has on file.

Unfortunately, in our experience, AVS isn't super reliable. Often, a customer will put in zip code that they think is correct, then they'll finally call the bank and the bank will say "Nope, we've got this other address on file." (That's actually happened to me personally, and we've seen it happen with customers too.)

Our general recommendation in this case is to talk to your gateway (Stripe) and check on your AVS settings there. But if you whisper us your store name, we can take a quick look at your account specifically.
    Thanks @looped.
    In taking a look, I see many successful transactions, so that looks like a normal error for address verification. Stripe likely will just say "Yeah, the postal code failed." Though since the customer was in the UK, I wouldn't have expected "zip code". Let us know if your client learns it was anything other than a valid error.
  • Yes I thought that was odd too, as well as the fact that the same postcode has been used successfully through Paypal.

Thank you for looking into it.
  • loopedlooped Member
    I decided to investigate this a little further and see what was happening in Stripe re these 'post code failed' errors. I came across something a little odd when looking at all the payments that had been made through Stripe - the addresses appear to be missing information for address_line1 and address_line2
    The other information for town, county, postcode, country etc.. is all there but effectively the house/street information is completely missing. This is for both successful transactions and failed ones. The information definitely went to FoxyCart since the data feed we processed had all the information needed to post out the product to the customer.

I am guessing that some banks may fail the postcode validation when there is no address_line1 information sent with postcode.

Please could you look at this for me to see why this information would not be getting through to Stripe.

• fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @looped,

Thanks for posting your additional investigation there. Based on your notes, I've done some digging on our side too and I'm seeing what you're describing as well - the address line 1/2 values aren't passing through correctly. I've created a ticket on our side to get that correct as soon as we can. We'll follow-up once we've got a fix live for you.
  • loopedlooped Member
    I am not sure what to say to my client now. They will not be happy. They have had 40 blocked transactions in the last 90 days. This is a fundamental part of payment gateway integration.
    Hi @looped. We're going to followup by email so we can discuss more details, but in looking at the errors, it looks like the rate of errors is well within what we'd consider normal for the transaction volume for this account, and in looking deeper, we're seeing that many of the errors are valid (extra characters in the initial postal codes, or an O instead of a zero in one, etc.).

AVS isn't perfect in the first place, but there's nothing here indicating AVS isn't working as intended. We'll followup privately with more details.
  • loopedlooped Member
    Thank you brett for the followup. Very helpful of you to check the transactions out in detail.

I am very relieved to know that the AVS checks have been working as expected and that the missing address information has most likely not had an impact.
    @looped, we're happy to help, and we're relieved as well :)

Truth be told, the number of "unrecoverable" AVS errors you're seeing are actually way lower than what we've seen in the past, so imo your client is in _really_ good shape :)
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @looped,

Quick update - we've pushed out the bug fix here, so moving forward you should be seeing the address line 1/2 information making it over to Stripe as expected. Sorry again for the inconvenience here.