Why no shipping info update from ?cart=updateinfo link?

Hey guys,

I'm trying to give our customers a link to update their info. (in addition to the sub-token link that comes through email)

If a customer logs in through https://secure.botanicalcraft.com/cart?cart=updateinfo, why doesn't this give them the option to update their shipping info? (It only shows billing info)

Thanks.

Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Epotratz,

If you're working with subscriptions - then the customer should just be using the subtoken URL. The updateinfo is essentially a less useful version of the subtoken URL when you're working with subscriptions, so for your set up you won't need it.

The reason you don't see shipping options there is because the updateinfo cart type adds a non-shippable fake product to the cart. The customer can update their address and payment information saved, but it doesn't have any knowledge of what subscriptions they may have.

The subtoken on the other hand loads in the contents of their cart, so then the checkout has knowledge of what products they have and what is shippable.
  • Hey @fc_adam,

Regarding https://secure.botanicalcraft.com/cart?cart=updateinfo, we need to provide some kind of "Login" or "My account" link on our site so users can have an alternate method of updating their info. Updateinfo was the closest we could find aside fIom the sub_token URL.

Is there a way to load the updateinfo with a shippable product so the shipping address can be changed too? (I don't see any reason why you guys would not allow updating the shipping address with updateinfo)

There doesn't appear to be any need to require a sub_token for shipping address or payment updates since there can only be one shipping address or payment linked to an email at any one-time.

@Epotratz,

Good question. Currently there isn't a way to specify the updateinfo should be for a shippable product - it's primarily designed for updating the customers payment details.

I see you're making use of SSO for your store. If you have a users login already on your side, once logged in there you could provide links for them that link to their existing subtoken URL, fetching that by using the API and their customer ID. Could that work? That way the customer sees a complete overview of their subscription when making changes.
  • @fc_adam,

Yes, were using the SSO for automatic login in the method discussed here: https://forum.foxycart.com/discussion/10923/allowing-automatic-login-with-sub-token-link#latest

Would that type of 'fake' SSO setup allow us to do what you're saying?

@Epotratz,

Ah thanks for clarifying - I'd forgotten that's what you were using the SSO for. That unfortunately won't assist with what I'm describing, it relied on you having the users already logged in on your side, so you would know who they were and be able to fetch their subtoken URL's.

We'll discuss this and respond back soon
  • @fc_adam,

Ideally we'd just like the updateinfo link to allow a shipping address update. I don't see any reason to prohibit it. Even with a customer who has multiship subscriptions, it would only update their "Me" default shipping address.

Thanks.
    @Epotratz,

The issue with updating a shipping address without any context of their subscriptions is that if the shipping is calculated based on that address dynamically - the customer has no way of selecting a new rate. Take for example a store doing live rates. If a customer enters a shipping address using an updateinfo that is not service-able by the rate they've already selected for a subscription, next time it renews and that address is used, shipping can't be calculated.

We're continuing to discuss possible options and we'll reply back soon.
  • @fc_adam,

Ok, makes sense for certain cases.

FYI, we don't do live rates. We have free shipping for all orders, so it doesn't matter for us.

edited January 2017
    @Epotratz,

Thanks for your patience. At this stage we won't be making any changes to how our updateinfo checkout type functions. For what you're trying to do, your best options will be to make use of either a subtoken URL to load the subscription into the cart or you could also use the API to make changes to the customer information.

An important thing to note with both of those approaches though is that they will rely on the ability for you to know who the user is on your side - authenticated - to know which subscription is theirs.

In the future, we do plan to provide a customer portal type experience where customers would be able to log in and update their information and see subscriptions and transactions related to their account - but it's still a little ways off in our roadmap.