How to cancel a subscription

Hey guys,

You'd think I'd know how to cancel a subscription, but I'm a bit perplexed by this...

Or is there another way to cancel one?
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Epotratz,

Sorry for the confusion. The "Cancel" button there will allow you to leave the edit screen without making any changes. To cancel the subscription, you'll want to set the "end date" to tomorrows date and save. It will then be cancelled when our subscription processor runs the following day.
  • @fc_adam,

It's not letting me set an end date to tomorrow because the start date is in the future.

What does unchecking "active" do? Will it cancel it?

(This customer also has a 45 day subscription I need to keep active)

@Epotratz,

Ah - good point. In that instance, you can set the subscription to inactive (and also change the end date at that point so you know when it was cancelled), which will stop the subscription from renewing, but it also won't be included in the subscription datafeed for being cancelled. If you rely on the subscription datafeed for processing cancelled subscriptions on your side, you'd want to change the start date to tomorrow as well as the end date. The subscription will then be saved - and go through the normal cancellation process and be included in the subscription datafeed.

As an aside - with either of the above approaches, the customer won't receive any notification email of the cancellation.
  • @fc_adam,

What does unchecking "active" do?

And will id affect the "End Date"?

Thanks,
    @Epotratz,

Unchecking "active" and saving the subscription will make the subscription inactive - at which point it will no longer be included in the daily subscription renewals. No email confirmations will be sent to the user, and no further charges will apply. The subscription will simply stop at that point.

Simply unchecking the "active" checkbox will not change the end date in any way. You can change it at the same time though if you prefer.

When cancelling subscriptions, we recommend setting the end date to the following day. By doing this - the subscription will be included in the usual subscription datafeed, which you may potentially be using to perform actions when a subscription cancels. When the subscription cancels that next day, it will be automatically made inactive.
  • @fc_adam

If we just uncheck the "Active" box will it immediately reflect as inactive in the API?
    @Epotratz,

The subscription will be immediately marked as inactive after saving - and you'll see that reflected in the API straight away as well.