Pre-orders using subscriptions

Hello, we are running the v2.0 of the store and were looking at the best approach to running pre-orders for products that we don't currently have in stock. From reading it looks like this can be accomplished through subscriptions but we don't want to bill them more than once.

Would the best approach be to create a subscription for a product that is cancelled after the first day using the parameters below?

sub_frequency=1m
sub_startdate=20170315
sub_enddate=20170316

Thank you!
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @ghartage,

You're spot on - that'd be the best way to approach preorders right now, and would ensure that the customer would only be charged the once.

This will mean that the product will show the subscription information though - so for example, a product with those parameters would show this in the cart:

Frequency: Every Month
    Start Date: 2017-03-15
    End Date: 2017-03-16

You could hide the frequency and end date values there using CSS - and update the language string for "Start Date" to instead be something like "Preorder Date". That is assuming that you're not using normal subscriptions for other products in your store though. We've also got a new feature coming soon that will let you hide the frequency values from your store's configuration section too which is currently being tested.
  • ghartageghartage Member
    Ok thank you!
    edited March 15
    Hello, One more question. Is there a way to remove the subscription text from other areas of the purchase funnel. I was able to remove on the add-to-cart screen that opens to the right of our store. But on the checkout page(where you enter your credit card), confirmation page and other foxycart.com hosted pages it shows the subscription info, can we remove this on these as well if we don't wish to advertise this as a subscription but as a pre-order?

Thanks

@ghartage,
    We've also got a new feature coming soon that will let you hide the frequency values from your store's configuration section too which is currently being tested.
    Quick update on that - we've rolled this out now. On your store's Configuration page, look for the "Customize Cart Display" option - and you'll see you can hide subscription parameters there from the rest of the cart display.
    But on the checkout page(where you enter your credit card), confirmation page and other foxycart.com hosted pages it shows the subscription info, can we remove this on these as well if we don't wish to advertise this as a subscription but as a pre-order?
    You can hide any information you want using CSS. For example, if you're referring to the "Next Charge" information in the sidebar, you can hide that using styles like this:

<style type="text/css">.fc-transaction--future { display:none; }</style>

You can add that to your store via the "Header" textarea within the "Add custom header and footer code to your templates" option in your store's configuration.
  • Sounds good,

Thanks
    edited March 16
    Ok looking good. One other thing we did a test purchase and everything is hidden except the email still shows the subscription data. Can you help on how to hide that.

Thanks
    @ghartage,

Ah great point - sorry for missing that initially. For the email template you'll need to edit the template directly for that. Are you using subscriptions normally as well? Or for your store are you just using them for pre-orders only?

I'm assuming it's just pre-orders, and in that case you can do this: On the "email" template page, set the HTML template to the "Custom Template" option which will show the template in a text area. It'll probably be easiest to copy that out into a code editor if you're using one, but you'll need to look for the line that looks like this:
    {% if has_future_products %}
    and delete everything down to it's matching {% endif %}:
        </tbody>
    </table>
    </div>
    {% endif %}
    After saving the template - that will then remove the future subscription information from the email as well.
    edited March 17
    @fc_adam

We currently aren't using subscriptions for anything else just this for this digital download pre-order product. We already had a custom email template in place and I didn't seem to see that area you mentioned. Below is a link to the custom email text we are using. Let me know what areas we need to remove in order to not show the manage subscriptions(start, end dates, and text) and also the next charge date subscription text areas.

We also did a test subscription order set to start today and set to end tomorrow(Saturday) but never received a digital downloadable link but instead received a cancellation email today(Friday). I am assuming this because our subscription time was too short. So we are going to setup another test order with a little more time before it ends say like 3-4 days. Let me know if you think there is something else that prevented the download link from being sent.

Here is the text that we have in our email template

@ghartage,

Ah sorry for the confusion - I didn't realise you were just using the text template and were referring to the subscription links. Within the template - you can remove this section if you want to not output those links to update/cancel the subscription:
    {% if subscriptions|length > 0 and not is_subscription_cancel %}
    {{ config.lang.email_text_manage_subscriptions|pad(60,"-"," ")|raw }}

{{ config.lang.email_text_subscription_instructions|raw }}

{% for subscription in subscriptions %}
    {{ subscription.description }}

{{ subscription.text_links }}
    {% if not loop.last %}

----------------------------------------
    {% endif %}

{% endfor %} {# subscirption loop #}

{% endif %} {# has subscriptions #}

As an aside - I see you're using our previous snippet to add support for multiple languages in a store. I'm not sure if you saw, but we now have native multilingual support via our template set functionality which provides a much more robust set up. You can see details on that here: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/template_sets
    We also did a test subscription order set to start today and set to end tomorrow(Saturday) but never received a digital downloadable link but instead received a cancellation email today(Friday).
    Having the end date the day after the sub date, the subscription should still run as normal on the start date. Would it be possible to confirm with you the store this is for, and the particular subscription you tested? I'd love to take a closer look at that to see why it may not have run as expected. Feel free to whisper if you'd prefer to keep it private.