Option for customer pickup shopping cart?

turiyaturiya Member
Is there a way to add an option for customer pick up in my shopping cart so those who wish to pick their order at my store will not be charged for shipping?

store version 2.0
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @turiya,

We do include a customer pickup option as part of our live rate shipping options - but I believe you're making use of straight flat rate shipping costs on your store currently.

If that is the case - you'll need to set up some custom flat rates for your store, allowing you to offer both a free customer pickup option and a flat rate option for them to choose between.

To do that - we'd recommend making use of our custom shipping endpoint functionality. You can see details on setting it up on our wiki here, and if you need any assistance with what the custom logic would look like, just let us know.
  • turiyaturiya Member
    Hi Thank you.

I've read the wiki and I just don't know enough about code to figure out how to use it. Is it possible for you to give me something I can simply paste in, and tell me exactly where to do that?

We are using flat rate shipping and all I need is to offer an option for Free Customer Pick Up that removes the shipping charge from cart.

Thanks for your help!
    @turiya,

We can assist with what the code will look like and give you steps for getting it implemented. I noticed on your site that you say for any orders with multiple statues, that you want people to contact you to calculate the total. With the approach I'm suggesting, if you'd like it can also return an error message to customers trying to checkout with multiple statues with some text telling them to reach out to you rather than ordering through the checkout. Would that be helpful?
  • turiyaturiya Member
    Yes Adam that would be helpful. Thank you.
    @turiya,

Great - thanks for confirming! I'll whisper steps for you following this post.
  • turiyaturiya Member
    Hi Adam,

I finally got time to do this. I believe I did as you explained above. But something seems wrong to me. Was I supposed to do anything with the ShippingResponse.php file other than upload it?

When I add 1 or more items to cart and do not choose customer pick up, I do get an error, but it requires me to "Please select a shipping method." and the only one possible is Customer Pickup. I don't see a link or suggestion to make contact. Even if I intend to have the item shipped I can't make a purchase.

It seems odd to have to click Submit Your Order when the shipping amount still reads TBD

Calculate Shipping doesn't seem to be working either.

I noticed that if I click Customer Pickup it still wants me to add shipping address. Also will not let me choose shipping after that. There is no way to "un-click" the option. It acts like it needs to toggle back and forth with another option, like "ship to your location".

I uploaded the files here http://www.store.crystalhermitage.org/store/foxycart/custom_shipping.php

I'm thinking I may have goofed something up here! Thanks for your help.

@turiya,

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. You didn't need to make any changes to the ShippingResponse.php file - that one just needed to be uploaded.

Did you by chance make any alterations to the custom_shipping.php file? That should be returning an error if there are more than 2 items in the cart, and it should also be returning two rates - one for the standard shipping and one for customer pickup. Reviewing your site now - it is only returning the customer pickup option.
    I noticed that if I click Customer Pickup it still wants me to add shipping address.
    That's right - the customer will still need to enter a shipping address there. It is a little awkward, but the shipping rates are returned after the customer enters their shipping address. I know your particular rates don't really care on their location - currently our functionality does rely on the shipping address for the rates to return.
  • turiyaturiya Member
    Hi,
    I didn't modify either file. Just copied and saved as php in my machine and uploaded to the site as instructed.

Ok I just tried this address (sorry, I had the wrong location in admin I believe) and I see changes to the cart, but there are still issues.
    http://www.crystalhermitage.org/store/foxycart/custom_shipping.php

I still don't see an error when there are more than one item, but with one item in shipping price preview I get three options now.

Customer Pickup
    $0.00
    In-Store Pickup
    $0.00
    Standard Shipping
    $15.00

Customer pick up and in-store pickup are redundant.

With more than one item the only option is Customer PIckup.

I think at this point what I would really like is to remove the code that throws the error for multiple items. Lets just allow the flat rate to multiply with amount of statues since that was an add on to what my customer requested anyway.

If we can just get the Customer Pick-up, and Standard Shipping options regardless of amount of items I think we're good like that.

I really appreciate your help. If you show me what changes to make to the files I think I can handle removing or editing them.

thank you!!

@turiya,

Ah - I see what's happening now. You'll want to de-select the "CUSTOM OPTIONS" option on the shipping page of your store's FoxyCart administration. This option is enabled to include the customer pickup option, but as the custom endpoint will handle including that itself, you don't need to use the native custom option.

If you update the shipping options to just have the "custom shipping endpoint" option enabled, you should then see the error returning on the checkout for multiple options.

If you wanted to drop that error still - you can use this for your "custom_shipping.php" endpoint instead: https://pastebin.com/raw/DBAFsy6D
  • turiyaturiya Member
    Thanks Adam. It works perfectly.
    Gratitude!