Translating strings for multiple new languages

eddie_ceddie_c Member
I haven't used Foxycart yet, but reading through the documentation I really like the Foxycart approach and how deeply customisable it appears to be. I'm looking for a solution for a donate form which needs to be in around 10 different languages, none of which are currently supported natively by Foxycart. Many of the languages I need have non-Latin script and they include Arabic which is right to left.

Since this is a donation system, I'm primarily interested in translating the checkout page and receipt. I'm not really interested in translating the cart itself as there will be only one 'product' (a donation).

In your internationalisation documentation you mention that you can supply 'language include files' for new languages. Is this your recommended method? I can't find much detail on the process involved in your documentation. Are you able to point me to the right docs?

As a developer I'd like to delegate responsibility for translations as far as possible: I wanted to explore the possibility of making string translations an editorial task on my website CMS (Drupal) and then overriding the labels in my template somehow. Does such a method exist and would you advise it?

Any help to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @eddie_c,

Thanks for posting, great questions.

FoxyCart can support multi-lingual checkouts with our template set functionality - which allows you to configure a number of different settings into individual sets that can be applied to a cart session, affecting the language, currency and other factors of the checkout experience.

For languages that we don't currently support natively, there are two ways you could approach adding them. One would be to translate the strings within the administration's language section for each individual template set you create. All customer facing strings are editable within the language section - so you can edit these as much as you require.

If you'd prefer - and this is what the docs were referring to that you saw - we can also provide you with a file that contains all of the language strings, that we can then include as a native translation you can then select in the admin.
    As a developer I'd like to delegate responsibility for translations as far as possible: I wanted to explore the possibility of making string translations an editorial task on my website CMS (Drupal) and then overriding the labels in my template somehow. Does such a method exist and would you advise it?
    Something like this could technically be built out using our Hypermedia API, which would allow you to create an interface to edit the language strings on your side and have those applied to your store. It'd require a bit of custom development to get going, but that could definitely work.
  • eddie_ceddie_c Member
    Thanks Adam, this is useful. We have about 10 languages that you currently don't support that we'd need to translate the checkout interface into. I think we can probably do this manually via the admin language section that you mentioned. However, it's good to know that building our own interface via the API would also be an option in future.