Trouble with Google Analytics

I've gone through all your steps for setting up Analytics, and I'm currently testing it, but it's only partially working. I've gone through the steps again to double-check, and I don't think I missed anything, but since I can't quite wrap my head around how it works, I'm hoping I can explain my situation and you might have some ideas about where to look for a mistake!

When I test this myself, I can follow my steps in real-time all the way through to the receipt, but no goal completions are being logged. When I look at the funnel visualization, I see data in the cart step, but zeroes for the checkout and receipt steps. The real-time data shows me on the mydomain.com/cart page (which is the sidecart overlay), then on mydomain.foxycart.com/checkout, then on mydomain.foxycart.com/receipt. Is there something I've missed about setting up analytics so it knows it's looking for the foxycart domain /receipt page and not mydomain.com/receipt?

I can whisper more details if that would help. Thanks!
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited August 4
    @dustystrings,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting goals working with GA. As part of our integration for Google Analytics, we force it to track the cart, checkout and receipt as just "/cart", "/checkout" and "/receipt" - so as long as your goals are configured for those URL's as set out in the wiki, it should track them accordingly.

If this is for the Dusty Strings store - everything appears to be configured correctly from reviewing it on our side. It might be easiest if we take a look at your Analytics account to see if anything jumps out there. Would that be ok?
  • Yes, thanks! I've added you as a user, so let me know if you need anything else.

I noticed this morning that products are showing up as sold in the Ecommerce section, so maybe it's just the goals that aren't working quite right.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited August 5
    @dustystrings,

Thanks for adding us there! I can see what you mean - how the pages are being tracked as page views including the hostname like "mydomain.foxycart.com/checkout", rather than just as "/checkout" - which is how it should be working. I'm a little stumped to be honest - but my current theory is that it relates to the "Enhanced Link Attribution" being enabled for your GA account (found under "Property Settings" for your profile). I believe that's appending the hostname because it's different than your normal profile domain.

Actually - I think I found it. It looks like you have a custom filter on the view for "Manufacturing FoxyCart" which is appending the hostname onto the request. It looks like you're taking that approach so you can track different subdomains easily.

With that in mind - you'll need to update your goal to change the "/checkout" and "/receipt" goal URL's to include your FoxyCart subdomain (so like "mydomain.foxycart.com/checkout") - and that should get it working. As the Sidecart view happens on your own domain, you can leave that as "/cart".
  • @fc_adam,

Thanks! I'm not sure why I didn't think of that... I'll make the change and see what happens.