SideCart not always appearing

Hi,

Today the sidecart isn't always appearing when I add items and I get the full page cart instead.

Here's an example page: http://www.keepbooks.org/kbproduct-cb.html

We're still in development and every time I've worked on a page I've tested it out. Everything has worked fine until today. It seems that the first time I go to a page and add an item, the full page cart loads. If I refresh the page I get sidecart functionality.

Did I break something / did something change in the Matrix :-)

Thank you!
Tagged:
Comments
  • Hmm. Could removing type="text/javascript" have messed it up? I took that out after W3C validator said it was not necessary.

Thanks!
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @KEEPBOOKS, we're taking a look, and will let you know as soon as we have any info.
  • Thank you, @brett
    @KEEPBOOKS, please give it a look now. We're still looking into what happened in the Matrix on this one :)
  • @brett things seem to be back to normal. Thank you!

I know that I made a change to some shipping settings in our account, but other than that I can't think of anything I changed via the dashboard. But if you see that I did... please let me know so that I don't do it again ;-)
    @KEEPBOOKS, no, this was an issue on our end. A bugfix caused a problem, unfortunately, that we didn't catch in testing. So sorry for the inconvenience, and you shouldn't expect this to happen again.
  • @brett Thanks as always for the quick and expert help!
  • Hello, @brett -- we noticed that this issue has come back. Is it something on Foxycart's end like before?

The URL it was happening for is www.keepbooks.org/kbproduct-cb.html

Thank you!
    @KEEPBOOKS, not this time. Are you seeing a pattern to when it's failing? I do see you've got two js files that are 404ing. Perhaps try fixing those and seeing if it helps.
  • Thanks @brett. I've messed with the js and it seems to be working. I haven't noticed any pattern to it, but yesterday I was out of our office and using a different computer so perhaps that had something to do with. I will keep an eye out for possible patterns. Thanks for checking!
  • @Brett Chrome about 14:40 01/13/18 sidecart did not work on page: http://www.keepbooks.org/kbproduct-cb.html and other pages. Also from Internet Explorer. But worked from Firefox. Puzzling.
  • KEEPBOOKSKEEPBOOKS Member
    edited January 13
    @brett but it's intermittent. One minute a page seems to work. Clear history etc and it doesn't. Clear history and it works...

Hmm. I have a feeling it's an issue with the script not having loaded yet (?). So, if I'm quick on the draw to add to cart after the page appears the sidecart fails. If I wait it longer it succeeds. I'll change script orders on the page and see if that helps. Perhaps it doesn't happen at the office because we have very fast connections, whereas here...

Thanks!
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @KEEPBOOKS,
    Hmm. I have a feeling it's an issue with the script not having loaded yet (?). So, if I'm quick on the draw to add to cart after the page appears the sidecart fails. If I wait it longer it succeeds.
    Based on your description of your experience, I think you're on the money there. Our loader.js file that you include on your page is set up to in turn load the rest of our javascript after your own assets have loaded. This way, it gives your website the best chance of loading as quickly as possible for the customer. It does mean though, that if there are a number of assets on your page that can take a moment to fully load, the Sidecart won't function straight away if the customer interacts with the cart before the page is complete. This won't prevent the customer from being able to add to cart though, they'll simply fall back to the default browser behaviour of being redirected to the full page cart.