Possible checkout bug regarding shipping payment?

KasperKasper Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited January 8
Hi all,

I had a customer recently select UPS Next Day Air (via the FoxyCart automatically priced shipping options), but she did not pay a cent for shipping. If I input her info into our checkout, here's how the shipping options look:

However, when the order came through, it indicated she had paid $0 for shipping, but was still slated to receive UPS Next Day Air. I confirmed that she was charged nothing more than the price of the products and tax, as if she had selected the free shipping option. I emailed her to ask for her version of what had happened, and this is what she said:
Hi Kasper,

I clicked on the UPS next day Air (In hopes that the the order would arrive by Monday), and it did increase my amount to $58.03. When I hit submit order, and I received the confirmation number, I looked at the total that I was charged, and it was $21.34. I thought it was odd, but then figured maybe it came out to be free shipping because there was a promotion or coupon that added itself.

Thank you for your help and sorry for the confusion!

Regards,
Kim
My current hypothesis is that this is an error somewhere in the FoxyCart shipping system. My only thought of where it could stem from is the fact that the shipping address is about 10 miles from our fulfillment warehouse, and no person in their right mind would select overnight shipping in such a scenario (since almost every shipping method would come overnight anyway). As such, this is an edge case that few people may have experienced before, and something weird might be slipping through (e.g. UPS pricing API still gives you guys back a price for the one day shipping, but doesn't actually allow its purchase because UPS Ground would be just as fast).

I don't ever expect to run into this issue again, but I wanted to give you guys a heads up about it in case somebody else experiences it.

EDIT: Here's the order looks in the FoxyCart "transactions" view:

Cheers,
Kasper
Tagged:
Comments
  • KasperKasper Member
    To be extremely clear: Both the FoxyCart data download and OrderDesk show her shipping method as UPS Next Day Air, so that is what the order came through to me with.
  • fc_marijafc_marija FoxyCart Team
    Thanks for sharing that @Kasper . We'll create a ticket to see what might have happened.
    @Kasper

Just a follow-up, we also wanted to let you know about another feature we added recently that you could enable for your store. It's a feature which essentially creates a signature of the shipping rate - a secret hash that ties it to the shipping destination and cart weight that is generated when the rates are returned to the checkout. We then validate this signature serverside based on the details submitted to ensure it matches. If it doesn't match, then the customer is sent back to the checkout to reselect a proper rate.

While this feature was developed to ensure that the shipping rates can't be tampered with in any way, it should also prevent instances of this bug happening as well. For our 2.0 stores, this feature needs to be enabled per store, as some stores are making use of snippets to generate custom rates on the checkout which wouldn't work with signatures. As far as I can tell, your store isn't utilizing a custom shipping javascript, so it would be safe to enable this option (available at the bottom of the "shipping" options in the Foxy admin).
  • Thanks for the tip! So there would be no configuration on my end other than clicking the box to enable that option? I.e. this is all internal to FC and doesn't affect the XML datafeed in any way?
    @Kasper -

That's correct. It doesn't affect the XML datafeed, and all you need to do is check the box and Save.
  • KasperKasper Member
    Guys, looks like I've had this error recur. This time was a sort of opposite of the first time - a customer was charged for free shipping.

Here's my sanity check, the settings definitely indicate this is our free shipping option (and most customers use it - I've never seen an issue with it before):

And here's the order where a customer was charged for this free shipping:

What could be happening?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Kasper,

Thanks for posting - sorry to hear you had this happen again. Looking at your store, I'm not seeing the shipping rate signing functionality enabled that Marija noted earlier - did you have that enabled when this transaction came through? That feature should prevent this type of issue coming up, so we'd definitely recommend enabling that for your store.