Gateway that works perfectly with russian cards

Hello to everyone,

Could you please advise what are possible gateways for card payments in Russia? We're going to process international cards payments too but there is no question, more interesting what will be if russian-issued mastercard/visa will be entered? Couple of monthes ago Brett Florio proposed me Stripe or Braintree for that, I've checked their websites and I'm not really sure that will help us. Could you please clarify what is the better option here?

Thanks a lot.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited January 11
    @himurovich,

Thanks for posting. Is there a particular concern you had with how gateways would handle Russian issued credit cards? If so, your best bet would be to contact any individual payment gateways you're interested in using and check with them about it. As they're the ones that will ultimately be processing the cards, they'll be the best people to speak to about it.

From the FoxyCart side of things - you can see a list of gateways with known support for Russian based merchants on our wiki here: https://wiki.foxycart.com/gateways/start?dataflt[0]=countrie_=RU. Stripe isn't on that list specifically as it doesn't have complete Russian support just yet, but it is possible to create an account using their Atlas service which creates a US-based business and bank account for your Stripe account.

I hope that helps!
  • vostokvostok Member
    edited March 28
    @fc_adam I would like to chime in and maybe provide some additional info.

I'm a Russian-based business currently building on foxy. It's a small bicycle component manufacturer selling worldwide. I do not sell within Russia. At this time, I do mail orders with PayPal invoices. I'm building everything static (some back-end stuff running on Lambda, including the shipping calculator) so you guys are pretty much the quickest and cheapest way to go, which is great.

Our side of the story:
    1. The main issue for sellers here in Russia targeting foreign customers is lack of available payment gateways. From the foxy's wiki page:
    - 2Checkout - an expensive and notoriously complicated to work with behemoth - especially for SMB's. They are not a modern e-commerce solution worthy of use.
    - Adyen - have not tested as a Russian based business, but tried to sign with them when working for an Israel based e-commerce company. They only really want big brands it seems. In the long run, they are my only hope - I plan to get in touch with them once the website is up and presentable.
    - Braintree - will not sign up Russian companies, wiki entry is incorrect, please do consider correcting this
    - PayPal (Express) - only thing available now, essentially. Mad conversion rates and everything PayPal business clients learn to love (commissions, lack of support, zero protection)

So, in a real-world situation, a Russian SMB shop is stuck with PayPal. Stripe is not doable and Atlas is not a service targeted towards e-commerce - it's a service for tech startups looking to raise funding in the Valley.

Another issue that stops us venturing out beyond WordPress and the like is our recently introduced federal regulation to create electronic receipts and submit them to the IRS (a Russian equivalent of) online. Naturally, various SaaS options are available with out-of-the-box integration for Presta, WP, etc. Not for Foxy, obviously. So I need to tinker with the API's. It's still worth it in order to pursue serverless, but barely.

There is one viable way foxy can solve all problems for the CIS-based store owners and instantly become the best and only serverless shopping cart solution in the CIS. And it's not a hugely complicated undertaking. Here it goes:

Please do consider integrating Yandex.Checkout with Foxy. This is the leading gateway in Russia (and CIS) from one of the biggest tech companies in the world and this is all that we need.

Enabling Yandex in Foxy will permit:
    1. CIS-based businesses to sell within their respective countries
    2. CIS-based businesses to sell globally (such as myself), we will be able to clear all foreign cards eventually
    3. Russian businesses to comply with federal regulations (out-of-the-box cash e-registry and receipts integration is possible with Yandex directly, bypassing Foxy)

Do please tell me if this is something worth a product backlog entry.

At this time (for me personally) Foxy is an intermediate step towards full automation. Without a proper gateway (besides PayPal), I'll eventually bite the dust and switch to a self-hosted bloated platform or write a serverless cart from scratch, AWS help me :)
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @vostok,

Thanks so much for providing such a detailed overview, that is indeed very helpful for us! I'll discuss this with the team.