Modify a Subscription Payment

Hi Guys,

Im just curious on how payment works when modifying a subscription.

I built a custom dashboard on our site where a custom can modify their subscription like add item into it,remove item, change frequency etc. Let say he has a 1 month subscription with one item into costing 15$. What happened if he added one more item which basically changed the price how does foxycart handles that?Same when changing frequency, what would be the effect of this action to the record on your database?

Im using the subscription_modify function from this doc
https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/api
The dashboard already works, I just want to know how is the charging being handle on these scenarios.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @chesterp,

Great question. With what you've described there, any change would take effect at the subscriptions next renewal. So for example, let's take your example of a $15 monthly subscription, and that it also has a next date of the 1st of February:

* If you changed the frequency to be "2m" instead of "1m", assuming you didn't also change the next date, it would renew on the 1st of February still. At that point though, the new next date would be the 1st of April rather than the 1st of March.
    * If you added a new $10 product to the subscription, at the next renewal on the 1st of Feb it would charge for $25 instead of $15.

Is that the outcome you were looking for? Or were you wanting to be able to charge pro-rata amounts from changes to the subscriptions?

• @fc_adam

Thank you for your response.

Just to clarify, when the customer currently has a "1m" subscription and he added items into it which turns the cost to be 15$ this new price will take effect on the next date, I think I got it right.

But when the customer added items to her "1m" subscription which increased the total cost and she also changed the frequency to "2m", you said I should not changed the next date? What iam currently doing is updating the cost, frequency and next date of the subscription. You were saying that I should only update the cost and the frequency and don't touch the next date as foxycart wil auto set that on the next renewal based on the new frequency value?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @chesterp,
    Just to clarify, when the customer currently has a "1m" subscription and he added items into it which turns the cost to be 15$ this new price will take effect on the next date, I think I got it right.
    Spot on!
    But when the customer added items to her "1m" subscription which increased the total cost and she also changed the frequency to "2m", you said I should not changed the next date? What iam currently doing is updating the cost, frequency and next date of the subscription. You were saying that I should only update the cost and the frequency and don't touch the next date as foxycart wil auto set that on the next renewal based on the new frequency value?
    You can update the subscription next date if you want to. If you don't though - the subscription will renew on whatever the next date was already, and the new next date at that renewal will be ahead whatever the frequency is set to.

So for example, continuing the example from above of a monthly subscription that has a next date of the 1st of February. If left as that, on the 1st of February it would renew and the new next date would be the 1st of March. If it was updated with the API to change the frequency to be "2m" instead of "1m" though, it would renew on the 1st of February and the new next date would be the 1st of April (ie. 2 months ahead).

If you're not charging any pro-rata amounts, not changing the next date when you update the frequency will probably be your best bet, as the customer has pre-paid for whatever the current frequency of the subscription is, and at the next renewal they'll pay for whatever the new frequency is.

I hope that helps clarify things!
  • @fc_adam

Ok,that's clear thank you.

I might go with the safer option which is not updating the next date as foxycart will handle the calculation of next date on the next renewal and charge otherpro-rate amounts.

thanks @fc_adam