Sending an e-mail to the customer on payment failure

alextorresalextorres Member
Hello

I've tried finding how to do this in the documentation/forums but I haven't been able to find how to do it. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Tagged:
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited June 15
    @alextorres,

Thanks for reaching out. Would I be correct in saying that you're wanting to send customers emails when their subscriptions fail to renew properly - giving them a chance to update their payment details?

If so - we do support the ability to email reminders to customers, as well as automatically re-attempt their payments, on a customisable schedule. This is available as part of our subscription dunning functionality, which is found on the "advanced" settings page in the administration, and also some documentation on the different options available on our wiki here.

I hope that helps!
  • alextorresalextorres Member
    edited June 15
    Hello @fc_adam

this would include anytime a client tries to pay with credit card and the payment is declined for any reason
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @alextorres,

Thanks for clarifying. We don't currently send emails to customers for payment errors when they're on the checkout. In that instance, the customer is redirected back to the checkout and they see the error straight away, allowing them to make changes and try again.

If you're looking to track abandoned carts - there are a number of services that integrate with Foxy that you could utilise: https://www.foxy.io/integrations/cart-abandonment.

If you specifically wanted to send customers emails on errors though - that could be possible, but would require some custom development, with a script on your side to handle sending the email, and triggering it from the checkout if you detect a payment error.
  • @fc_adam I think if payment errors on checkout are caught there and not allowed to go through, we don't need an email to be sent

Going back to subscription failures, I had a read of that wiki page and do I understand correctly if I think 'Failed Transactions Reattempt Schedule' is the one I need to fill in the advanced settings so a customer receives an email?

Thank you for your help!
  • fc_marijafc_marija FoxyCart Team
    Hi @alextorres -

You're close, but you'll want to use "reminder email schedule:". This actually sends the emails. The "failed transactions reattempt schedule" retries the charge on the set schedule, but doesn't send emails. The reminder email schedule will send an email x number of days from the date of the first failure. So, if you wanted your customer to be reminded initially, then every 5 days, you'd set a value of "1,6,11" and so forth. Does that make sense?

If you were to use these two things combined, the emails would stop sending once the subscription is in a paid up or successfully charged state.