Custom Initiation Fee in Checkout

Hello!

I am working on a boating services website in Squarespace and have selected Foxy Cart as our check out system as they are using Authorize for their payments. I am a web designer so a lot of the threads and topics here are hard to follow but I think I am getting most of it so far. What I need to do is have the user put in their boat length into a field on the checkout screen and have that value multiplied by $15 and added to the end amount. Is there an easy way to do this? I have created the category for this but am not sure what to do from there. Any advice will help. Thank you!
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @joshuabird88. We're happy to help. There are a few ways to do this, but the first question is: Does this need to happen on the checkout? It'd be much easier to handle this before the checkout, on your site. There'd be a few ways to do that.

One possibility, if this is the only product, would be to simply make the product $15 "each", then make the quantity the "feet". (You could change "quantity" in the store's language strings to be "feet".)

Alternately, the best way to handle this would be for you to create the form how you want it, and we can help you connect the dots to get it working how you'd like it. Is that doable? If you need help with the HTML for the form, let us know and we can help you out there as well.
  • Hello Brett!

Thank you for reaching out. As the initiation fee is a required item, I think that means it needs to be in check out so I can make it required. As stated, I am working with Squarespace and right now I have each level of membership (bronze, silver, gold, and concierge services) with two buttons. Each button adds to the cart. Each button is specific to a month to month cost or an annual cost (basically they agree to terms and conditions for agreeing to pay a monthly fee for an annual subscription).

The site is located here: premieraquaticms.com

Because that initiation fee has to be required, am I correct in stating is should be in the checkout portion? I was wondering if it could simply be an injected line item that they input their boat length in feet and it calculates the cost and adds it to the total on the right for them to see before paying.

JB
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @joshuabird88,

Thanks for the additional details. You could still have the item be required as part of your add to cart process as well, it wouldn't have to be on the checkout.

I had one more quick clarifying question for you before we suggested approaches though. All of your products appear to be subscriptions - would this initiation fee be an additional cost for each subscription renewal as well? Or would it be a one-off charge for the initial purchase, and then the renewing charge would just be the subscription amount?
  • @fc_adam and @brett

Thank you for the follow up and comments above. I finally received clarification for the subscriptions. For every subscription, the initiation fee only happens once a year. Each subscription is billed monthly. The only difference is the contract for the annual subscription states the user will have to pay the rest of the subscription cost if canceled early. I plan on handling that through the confirmation email - having the person call the office to manage their subscription.

With that said, is this an easy item to add into this so that it is charged once a year for each subscription? The company is wanting to move rapidly and I want to make sure I can get this in there sooner rather than later for them so any help your team can provide will help a lot! Thank you so much!

JB
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @joshuabird88,

Thanks for confirming.

Currently our subscription functionality doesn't support combining two subscriptions of different frequencies together. It's possible to purchase them at the same time - but after that point they're considered separate subscriptions for the store. That means the customer could technically cancel one subscription, and not the other.

There are ways you could work around that - adding in some customisations to prevent the customer from being able to cancel all or some subscriptions, or cancel other subscriptions at the same time

For example, you could make use of our webhooks, and if you detect a customer cancelling one of their subscriptions, use the API to also set their other subscription to cancel on the same day.

Alternatively, you could alter the language strings for your store, and remove any links for the subscription cancellation options that are provided to the customer. Instead you could replace them with instructions to email the store to cancel the subscription. You could also add some customisations to the template to prevent the customer from seeing the sub cancellation action on the checkout - instead providing instructions to contact the store to cancel their subscriptions.

Could either of those approaches work for your needs? If so, and you need any more details, let us know!