Simple Payment Form

freshjonesfreshjones Member
in Help edited August 6
Our client has a need to allow customers to send a very simple 1 time payment amount. An example would be the customer wasn't charged enough shipping, or the original invoice paid was the incorrect amount and they owe a small balance, etc.

they would like it to be as simple as possible, ie a single page where the customer fills in the amount they want to pay, along with the credit card details and that's it, no shipping, no tax, etc...

We already have a full cart/checkout system working with foxycart, and I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on how best to approach this request?

a few ideas i had

1) create a new store for this feature so I can turn off shipping, and tax, etc but I would still need ask the user to go through 2 steps right? one for filling in the product data and another for the checkout page?

2) somehow using the foxy api to submit everything from a single page? is this possible?

3) perhaps changing the workflow to where my client fills out the cart amount and then send their customer directly to the checkout page using the URL of that unique cart, is there a time limit on passing urls like that? would it expire or not work as intended?

any other suggestions?

thanks!

Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @freshjones,

Thanks for posting and providing a detailed overview of what you're after.

You can achieve a simple checkout flow like that with your existing store. What you'll want to do is create a new category on the store that is configured with a delivery type of "Not shipped". This will remove the need for the customer to enter a shipping address when checking out with just products from that category. If you don't assign any taxes to this category either, then they won't be charged taxes too.

To set up the payment form - you would just have a normal add to cart form, but expose the price field as an open text input that the customer can enter their amount into. You would also want to add the "cart=checkout" input too so the customer goes straight to checkout. As an example:
    <form action="https://YOURSTORE.foxycart.com/cart" method="post">
    <input name="name" type="hidden" value="Payment">
    <input name="category" type="hidden" value="my-category">
    <input name="cart" type="hidden" value="checkout">
    <label for="price">Amount To Pay:</label>
    <input type="text" id="price" name="price" value="">
    <input type="submit" value="Add To Cart">
    </form>
    Alternatively, the store owner could email direct links to customers too, which would effectively just be an add to cart link, like this:
    https://YOURSTORE.foxycart.com/cart?name=Payment&category=my-category&cart=checkout&price=49.99
    The store owner would just need to change the price in the URL whenever they send it to a new customer.
  • ok cool thanks thats helpful, is there any way to have everything on a single page? meaning no click to checkout, just directly on the checkout page itself could we have an input field to make a payment?

thanks
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited August 8
    @freshjones,

Good question. Our checkout currently requires that there be a product already in the cart to allow the customer to see the page. If the cart is empty, a message displays directing the customer back to your website.

As such - your best bet will be to either have the link that adds the respective payment amount present already, or direct the customer to a page on your site to enter the amount they want to pay.