Coupon Syntax for "Get 1 Free, Additional Are Normal Price"

TonyTony Member
in Help edited September 11
Does anyone know the correct coupon syntax for "Get 1 Free, but any additional items you buy are full price"? It doesn't matter if in actuality the "1 free" means "subtract 1/n of the cost of n items", as I expect it will be - that is fine.

single|1-100|2-0 works, but only if they have one product in their cart.
Tagged:
Comments
  • TonyTony Member
    edited September 11
    I think it might be incremental|1-100|2-0 actually, but I'm not really sure.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Tony,

Good question - thanks for reaching out. You're spot on that incremental is what you're after. A single discount type will just discount based on the single tier that applies - so if you have 2 or more products, that means the single discount is 0% off. With incremental, it will apply each tier to the products within that tier, meaning you'll get the 1 product at 100% off, and the rest at full price.

Quick note though with our existing discount functionality - it doesn't have a notion of an order to the products, so for your discount string, it will apply the discount based on the average product price of the products that the discount applies to. That's not an issue if all the products are the same price, or if you're discounting by a set dollar amount - but it will impact if you're using a percentage discount and the products are different prices.

I hope that helps!
  • Excellent! Thanks a lot for confirming that and the averaging thing! That's what I'll go with then. Btw, I finally got this site upgraded to 2.0. It's quite nice!
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Tony,

Happy to help. Glad you were able to get the store updated to 2.0 as well!