Missing Country: Canary Islands

The Canary Islands need to be added as a country. (ISOCode IC)

While part of Spain they are not part of the EU and so need to have a different VAT rate set.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @andygambles,

Thanks for posting! In terms of the official ISO3166-2 country lists, the Canary Islands aren't included there. We use that list for our country dropdown, which is why you're not seeing it available there.

That obviously doesn't help with your tax issue though - where you need to charge a different tax rate for a specific region than the rest of the country. We'll discuss this within the team and get back to you as soon as we can.
  • Any update on this? Are you able to create a country Spain-Canary Islands as an option?

Looking at other Ecommerce options they tend to have the above country option.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @andygambles
    Sorry for the delay. We've actually had a number of internal discussions about this, but didn't get you an update.

Could you perhaps whisper us some of the other ecommerce options you mentioned? We looked at a number and weren't able to find any that handled the Canary Islands, so it'd be helpful to compare.

That said, we don't think we'd want to add the Canary Islands as a country, as it doesn't have a 2-character ISO country code, and we really don't want to get ourselves into a situation where we're playing loose with what are and aren't "countries" :)

But… we think we've got a solution. Right now, our automatic EU taxes do specifically exclude the Canary Islands. (You can test this out by putting 35001, a Canary Islands postal code, into the checkout, versus a postal code for Madrid.)

So you'd be able to:
    1. Have the EU automatic VAT rates, and
    2. Have _another_ tax for the Canary Islands.

Unfortunately, #2 doesn't work right now because our locations object doesn't actually have the Canary Islands in it, but we've got a ticket to add that, and it's a pretty small change. So unless we hit an unexpected roadblock, that should get you what you're after.

Does that make sense? Would it work for you?
  • I tried the Canary Island postcode and VAT was still applied.

We have the VAT rate specified for every country in the EU individually because the EU VAT setting does not allow for a home country to be specified and so allows UK customers to enter a VAT number and be charged no VAT.

The Canary Islands could be a separate country with the same ISO code as Spain? Not sure if you require ISO Code to be Unique however.

I believe your suggestion should work if Canary Islands postcode is used but note we do not use the EU automatic VAT rates for the reason specified here: https://forum.foxycart.com/discussion/11448/eu-vat-european-region-requires-home-country
    Ah, thanks @andygambles. I know that home-country topic as well but I'd forgotten that was you as well. So that complicates things, as we don't (currently) have a way to exclude certain regions from a country tax rate.

We've got some ideas that'd address both the home-country and this Canary Island issue, but new features on our tax system aren't generally quick to implement, so we may need to think of a workaround for you in the meantime. (I have an idea but I want to make sure I'm not missing something.)

Sorry for the delay here. We'll update you shortly.
    @andygambles Responded via email, fyi.