Coupons: buy A, B, C, or D and get one free of B, C, or D

I want to set up a coupon code discount like this: I have four different products (A, B, C, or D) and if someone buys one of them I want ONE instance of B, C, or D be free to them.
Looking at the documentation and forum posts I still need a nudge in the right direction for how to best implement this.
I'm comfortable with customizing JavaScript so that's fair game.

If the request is too specifically odd then maybe someone can suggest a similar idea that would be easier to make work.

Thanks!
Tagged:
Comments
  • I should also mention that we don't have any categories set up, everything is in one big category.
  • fc_marijafc_marija FoxyCart Team
    Hi @camelskyscraper -

You might be able to do this without a script, I have a few questions first. Can you confirm that you want the customer to buy 1 of A, B, C, or D and get 1 of B, C, or D (and not A?). The other is do you want the customer to only be able to get this once, rather than repeating in the cart? So repeating would be if the customer buys another product they'd get the 4th product free. Not repeating would just be that they only get 1 product free regardless of how many qualifying products they buy.
  • Thanks for your reply, @fc_marija
    Can you confirm that you want the customer to buy 1 of A, B, C, or D and get 1 of B, C, or D (and not A?).
    Yes
    The other is do you want the customer to only be able to get this once, rather than repeating in the cart?
    I think this is true, I'm checking with the client to be sure. Let's assume for now that it IS true.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    edited October 24
    @camelskyscraper,

Thanks for confirming that for us. One further question if you don't mind - I'm guessing the product prices for products B, C and D won't be the same? Will they be similar though?

With how our coupons work, when it comes to a percentage discount that applies over differently priced products - it applies to an average product from those. For example, if there were three products, $10, $12, $26, then a percentage discount would be calculated on a product priced at $16.

Would that be acceptable for your set up? So to confirm - if that was the prices of your products B, C and D, and the customer had one of each of them, a coupon could be created to apply 100% off of "one" product, so it'd be a $16 discount the customer would receive. If they had just a product B, it'd be a $10 discount, if they had a B and C, it'd be an $11 discount, etc.

If that would be ok - you could create a coupon like this:

Discount method: Discount by a percentage based on the quantity
    Discount type: Incremental
    Discount Tiers:
    - From 2 decrease by 100%
    - From 3 decrease by 0%

In the "usage" section, you'll then want to limit the coupon to only apply to the B, C and D products. If they're in a category of their own, you could select that category, or probably better suited, you can also limit based on product code. Enter the codes for the three products in there (or a wildcard string that is unique to them), to limit to just products B, C and D.

Note that this doesn't factor in product A at all. The coupon won't add the free products for the customer here - but it would require them to add one of the product B, C or D themselves. As such - it just needs to target those products that will receive the discount.

Would that work?

[Edited to fix discount tiers]
  • Thanks, @fc_adam !
    Yes, the prices are similar: three of them are $15 and one is $10.
    I'll give this a try and report back.
  • @fc_adam thank you for the detailed instructions!
    I updated the quantities so the buyer needs at least two products in the cart that meet the criteria (otherwise a person could just get a free product and nothing else).
    Discount Tiers:
    - From 2 decrease by 100%
    - From 3 decrease by 0%
    I'm going to run it by the client to see how to handle including product A or not.
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @camelskyscraper,

Oh sorry, yes - I'm glad you caught that as you're totally right, the way I had it would have discounted the first product. I'll update my post just incase someone else stumbles upon this thread and misses your reply here.
  • It looks like this solution is going to work for us. Thanks again, @fc_adam and @fc_marija :smile:
  • fc_marijafc_marija FoxyCart Team
    @camelskyscraper that's great! Let us know if you have any other questions.