PayPal and subscriptions

Is there a way to change the next transaction date or frequency for subscription customers paying with PayPal? Our store is Foxy 2.0 and we just added PayPal as a payment option a couple months ago.

I want to change the next transaction date for a subscription customer who uses PayPal (just to change the day of the week of future transactions) but I'm not able to change the next transaction date or frequency.

I checked the wiki and it says: For recurring payments with the Express Checkout API, PayPal does not allow certain updates, such as billing amount, within 3 days of the scheduled billing date. I can't find any documentation that mentions other limitations on PayPal subscriptions.

Thanks for your help!

Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @Sparky,

Thanks for reaching out. Looking at your store - I see you're utilising the newer PayPal integration that uses Reference Transactions. For that payment gateway - the customers subscriptions are fully managed within your Foxy store, which means you can make changes to the subscription as you require.

To change the next date - you'll need to find the subscription in your store's FoxyCart administration, click the "Edit" button, and then alter the next date as you need.

If you're seeing the next date input as read-only, could you whisper me the store and subscription customer? We may be looking at a different store to what you're using. To whisper, when replying check the "whisper" checkbox and enter my forum username in the input that appears.

To confirm though - with our older integration called "PayPal Express Checkout (Legacy)", there are some restrictions for those subscriptions, as the subscriptions are actually managed on PayPal's side. The details within FoxyCart for those are more of a reference, showing the current state of the subscription. Any changes to those need to be actioned within PayPal directly.
  • Thanks Adam! I'm a bit embarrassed. You are correct, I could make the changes in the FoxyCart administration and have figured it out now.

I use Order Desk (its user interface is much friendlier) for order management so that's where I was trying to make the changes and was unable. I'll mention this to Order Desk - looks like their FoxyCart integration needs to be updated for PayPal Reference Transactions.

Thanks again!
  • fc_marijafc_marija FoxyCart Team
    @Sparky glad to hear you were able to get what you needed.