Custom Shipping Rate OR Store Pickup

Hi,

I'm quite new to foxycart but have 3 projects using it (2 already signed up). I want to have two options for shipping:

- pickup at store (0€)
- Flat Rate (xx €)

At the moment I set up a custom shipping code that shows these two options AFTER the client enters his shipping address. I think that is counter-intuitive and my customers might miss that there is a free pickup option if they don't fill in their address and leave the checkout.

What is the best way to do this?

Thank you.
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @bernhard,

Thanks for reaching out to ask, that's a great question. Currently we support two different ways of specifying a product for customer pickup. One is the delivery type selection on the individual category - so requires that the customer elects for customer pickup when adding the product to their cart. The second is by returning a "customer pickup" option with the shipping rates, which requires the customer enters a shipping address first.

We do understand neither of these options are perfect though - as it either requires the customer to choose to do pickup at the start of the flow, or have to enter their shipping address to not have something shipped.

We have a ticket on our side to consider an enhancement to our checkout to support an improved native option, but for now, there is one work-around you can take to get an approach that is closer to what you're after. It works by adding a custom checkbox above the shipping address fields for the customer to elect to pickup, and if checked, hides the shipping address fields and uses the store address as the shipping address.

Unfortunately there is still a downside to this approach though, which is that if the customer elects to create an account (or logs in to one), the store's address will be saved as their shipping address on their account. You could work around that by perhaps forcing a guest checkout if they elect for customer pickup, or if you already only allow guest checkouts, that wouldn't be an issue.

If you'd like to take a look at that customisation for your store, if you could email our helpdesk we can provide some additional details on that with you.