Foxy Forum Status

We're no longer responding to questions via our forum, but we will keep it up for historical reasons. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please visit our knowledge base or contact us. If there's enough interest in the future, we may bring the forum back.

Sales Tax Certificates

Good afternoon, folks :-) When you enable the input field on the checkout form and turn on the "exempt customers with a tax id" feature, taxes are not collected for customers that enter anything into that field. It is then the vendor's responsibility to validate the tax ID and to have a copy of the customer's Sales Tax Certificate.

Collecting that copy could be done in three ways, I think:

1. An upload field next to the ID field (this method isn't supported in Foxy as far as I can tell)
2. A link to upload or email the certificate contained on the Foxycart receipt (and then not shipping until the certificate is received and validated)
3. A manual email with a request for the certificate (and then not shipping until the certificate is received and validated)

How do you all do it? Ideas are very welcome :-)

Thank you for any help & cheers,
Erik
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi @eriks
    Great questions.
    A few thoughts, not necessarily in order or in direct response to your points.

First off, we do have an Avalara AvaTax integration, and they have a service that handles the certificates for you (and integrates with AvaTax, so things should automatically work. I'm not sure if TaxJar does, but if you're collecting for more than 1 or 2 states, you may want to explore those (or reach out to us and we can intro you and/or get some answers for you).

Another option, instead of allowing customers to add a tax ID directly, would be to handle that yourself (adding to the customer record via the API; we're working on admin improvements to allow doing this from the admin). Then you ensure you're only skipping taxes for folks who've been approved.

To your questions:
    1. On the checkout might be tricky, but could be possible. We've got an UploadCare tutorial for adding to the checkout here.
    2. Ditto #1 above. Upload care, perhaps. But if you wanted to delay, you could use some new functionality (currently private but going public in March) to do an auth-verification initially. That'd verify the credit card, but not charge. Then you could approve (and potentially edit) and _then_ charge for the right amount. If you'd like this functionality enabled, let us know. (We support it for about 6 of our most popular gateways currently.)
    3. Possible as well, but probably #1 or #2 would be better.

That help? Certificate management's definitely going to require some manual effort, so it's just a matter of what'll make the most sense. Personally, I'd probably lean towards option #2, though that'd require manually capturing all transactions. (You could automate that via the API if the transaction volume is sufficient to warrant it.)
  • Thank you, Brett. Our client uses authorize.net (re option #2). We'll discuss with client.