The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Is it possible to add select order information to a category email

enmincenminc Member
I represent a non-profit that takes in both retail and donations at times on the same order. I have a "Donation" category that sends out an email if any of their items in their order happen to be a donation item. However at this time that email is a generic "Thank You For Your Donation"

The Wish would be to allow for those items that are a donation to be included in this email.

Example Scenario:

Customer Buys - Coffee Cup ($5 retail item), Donation ($10 donation item), Sponsorship ($20 donation item)

Donation Category Email -

"Thank You for Your Donation of $30"
Tax Deductible Donation #1: $10 Donation
Tax Deductible Donation #2: $20 Sponsorship
Comments
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @enminc,

Good question. The category email templates support Twig just like our other templates do - so you can create any custom Twig logic you need. The category email will include all products in the transaction by default - so to determine the donation products specifically, you'd need to loop through and find just those from the donation category. For example:
    {% set donations = [] %}
    {% set total_donation = 0 %}
    {% for item in items %}
    {% if item.category == "Donation" %}
    {% set donations = donations|merge([item]) %}
    {% set total_donation = total_donation + item.price %}
    {% endif %}
    {% endfor %}

{% if total_donation > 0 %}
    {% set custom_subject = 'Thank you for your donation of $' ~ total_donation %}
    {{ custom_subject|fc_output_data('email_subject') }}
    {% endif %}

{% for donation in donations %}
    Tax Deductible Donation #{{ loop.index }}: {{ donation.price|money_format }} {{ donation.name }}
    {% endfor %}
    That would set a custom email subject for the category email to include the donated amount - and list out each of the donations included in the transaction.

I hope that helps!
  • enmincenminc Member
    Thank you Adam. I assumed the loop would be needed but wasn't sure about global access to the order.

Is there somewhere in the docs that I overlooked that notes all these (ex: items == 'your cart items')? I assume the customer info is also available.

Is it safe to say vars in any given tpl or include can be mixed and matched in the other?
  • fc_adamfc_adam FoxyCart Team
    @enminc,

We have a summary of the variables available in the templates on our wiki here: https://wiki.foxycart.com/v/2.0/templates/view_data. It covers each page, and there are some variations in what's available between the cart, checkout and receipt/emails - but it's generally additive, in that what's available on the cart, will be then available on the checkout, which will then be available on the receipts. There are some exceptions - but hopefully that page should help clarify that.

In terms of the category emails - they have access to the same data that the normal receipt emails have access to, so the same template logic from those can be copied over.