PayPal Payflow Pro

TaffTaff Member
in General edited December 2007
Hey guys...
The client I'm trying to set this up for wants to use the above Paypal option combined with FoxyCart. As far as i can see there aren't going to be any problems with using this type of account, and we can carry on using the normal sandbox for testing, but wanted to hear it from the horses mouth.

Maybe you should look at https://www.paypal.com/en_US/html/SolutionsDirectory/sd_pf-compatible.html

and see if we can get FoxyCart listed there too :)

Cheers,
Taff
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Interesting question. Just to make sure we're on the same page, Payflow refers to using PayPal as the gateway but tying it into your own (non-PayPal) merchant account, yes?

To be honest, I'm not sure if FoxyCart supports that. If it's the same interface as the Website Payments Pro, I think it should. Do you have a Payflow sandbox account, and if so, does it work? If it works on the sandbox, it should work live.

If it doesn't work, let us know and we'll look into adding it.
  • Actually Brett I'm a little lost too. I'm back in Germany now, so someone else is following up. I'm going to chase up Paypal and let you know.

Taff
    I tried chatting with them on live chat yesterday but waited forever with nobody actually answering. Let me know if you can't get any answers and we'll followup with them.
  • Paypal are not renowned for their speed. I've been waiting on a pay checque from the U.S. to clear since October 30th :(
    From now on I'm using www.moneybookers.com whereever possible, but enough whining, onto the problem at hand.

I too spent a fair bit of time on the phone....getting nowhere soon. If you want to create an account there are lots of people fighting to answer your calls...but nobody after that.

I have, however, managed to get a link to a PDF from the client which may be of interest to you:

https://www.paypal.com/en_US/pdf/PayflowPro_Guide.pdf

If it is compatible with FoxyCart, we need to get it put on the compatible list...giving developers the option of using this as opposed to any of those stuck-in-the-mud options listed.

I'm going to read through that PDF for a bit, and see if I can find anything interesting.

Thanks for all you are doing Brett.
    Hey Taff.
    Found this thread: http://www.paypaldeveloper.com/pdn/board/message?board.id=payflow&message.id=1889
    Seems like we're not the only ones that couldn't figure it out from PayPal's info. Unfortunately it looks like they're separate gateways entirely, which means we probably won't get to it in the immediate future.

Is there a reason they need Payflow? Not that we don't want to support it, but I'm curious if there are advantages that I'm unaware of.

If there's no reason not to, I'd suggest using CDGcommerce, which has killer rates and is only $10/mo (or $16/mo with American Express processing). Or perhaps do the offline processing if the volume is low.
  • TaffTaff Member
    edited December 2007
    I can't really tell you why they decided to go with PayFlow in the end. Suposedly it would make it easier things easier for them.

I think they've been sold something they don't really need, but I'm not there to tell them that.

This Payflow has really thrown a spanner in the works.

Would I be correct in assuming that it would work with premium paypal account (Web payments Pro)?

as it states http://www.foxycart.com/features-of-web-20-seo-ecommerce.html

if so, hopefully i can sell them it. What type of timeframe are we talking for integration of payment with paypal accounts?

Sorry to be such an annoyance Brett...the site needs to go live on the 15th
    Not an annoyance. Payflow definitely is an interesting dilemma though.

FoxyCart works perfectly with PayPal "Website Payments Pro" US, which is different than whatever versions of "Pro" are available in the UK. That'd probably be the best option (assuming they're US), as it's relatively quick to set up.

With Payflow they _do_ have a virtual terminal, so if it comes down to it they could select the offline processing mode and handle it manually for the time being. Not ideal, but probably a better solution than rebuilding the site with a different cart.
  • Brett, thanks again for all the help.

That could be a solution.

What does the offline processing mode do, just processes the card details and adds it to the terminal?

They decided they want to go live at midnight (NC time).

The site is a US site, so that opens up a few options.

Anything you can offer is more than I have atm.

Cheers,
    Taff
    "Offline processing" just saves the CC#s in the FoxyCart admin, so they can then retrieve them and process them manually process them.

Again, depending on the quantity of orders, Website Payments Pro might be worth doing in the interim (as it's still PayPal, they might feel comfortable with that switch).
  • TaffTaff Member
    edited December 2007
    OK, cool. I'm wondering if that could work.

Going to see if I can sell that for the time being
    edited December 2007
    edit: nevermind ;)
  • Hey Brett,
    finally we have managed to persuade everyone to go with the Website Payments Pro and VT.

They also wanted reoprting capabilities, but with what PayPal offers...and the transactions link in FoxyCart (which is great being able to export it!) they are happy enough for us to move on. They have another site too, with a shopping cart, so hopefully we can use FoxyCArt in exactly the same manner.

I have created a new store via FoxyCart for them already. I presume that will be an additional $15 a month? If not, GREAT, if so, could I at least point them both to the same paypal account?

Thanks for your undying assistance on this Brett.

Taff
    Yes, you should be able to use the same PayPal account with 2 separate stores. I haven't tested personally, but there's nothing in our system that'd prevent it, and as far as I can tell PayPal shouldn't have a problem either.

Glad it worked out!