The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

more placeholders for email

bwentebwente Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited December 2007
Please add the ^^order_id^^ placeholder to the email template, for the body and subject line. It would be nice to send to the customer an email with the subject "Brian, your order #15384 was just received!" and then be able to have a link in the message to lookup their status via a link. For example
http://www.mystore.com/status.php?id=^^order_id^^
would produce http://www.mystore.com/status.php?id=15384

Thanks in advance!
Comments
  • Any idea when this might be available? I would like to have a link in the email to get the status of the customers order.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Hey bwente, no details yet though if you really need it, you could work up your own details system with the XML datafeed dumped into a database. We've tossed around a few ideas for a reproduceable receipt page, but it's going to involve some redesigning of some key components (which we're already in the process of doing). That being said, I'm not sure we can provide you with a definite date for that feature at this time, but it's definitely on our roadmap.
  • So I would send a second email with a link to the database query that would display their order?

Also it is a little misleading for the templates to have a receipt template and a ^^receipt^^ placeholder. I thought maybe I could add the order id to receipt template (which dos work) and then in my email template use the ^^receipt^^ placeholder to display the custom receipt.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hey bwente.
    Luke's suggestion is perhaps a bit overkill for what you're looking to do with the subject line addition, but it's probably your best option for getting a sort of status report per order.

As far as the order_id placeholder, we're discussing that and we're seeing if we can sneak it into 0.3.1. Sorry for the delayed updates on that piece.

Regarding what's misleading, could you explain that a bit? I'm not sure I follow. Currently ^^receipt^^ is just the same as ^^checkout^^ for the receipt page, though on the emails there's ^^receipt^^ and ^^cart^^, which do different things.
  • The order_id placeholder is something I need to do the ticket printing and my buddy wants to start selling now. I might do it manually for now.

What I thought was misleading was using the same names. It sounded like I could template the placeholder itself.
  • How do I prevent the foxycart receipt from being sent? I do not want to confuse the customer, I want to have just my custom email sent.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    You can prevent the receipt from being sent by leaving the subject blank. I think that's hidden in the foxycart help boxes, but I'm not sure.

We're working through this stuff and we'll get something together for the next release.
  • Cool, thanks Luke.

I am going to try to launch the site this weekend.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Shh... don't tell anyone, but I just slipped your request into 0.3.1 and bumped it live.

^^order_id^^ should now have your transaction_id in the subject and the body for text, html and text+html email receipts.

Enjoy.
  • Thank you, Luke!

Worked like a charm! The only thing I noticed was a delay and between getting the email notification and the xml being sent. So when I clicked the link nothing happened, after a few minutes it showed up and it worked.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Datafeeds are set to go out every minute, but we're currently having occasional delays (and related issues with sending the same datafeed 3 or 4 times in a row). We're hoping to have these issues resolved very soon, but we're sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Glad the order_id worked ;)