The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Subscription pagination in admin

jaushmanjaushman Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited September 2009
I wasn't sure if this was a feature request or not, so my apologies if this doesn't belong in the forum.

We have a client with about 900 subscriptions and growing and anytime we need to research or make edits on the subscription page in the FoxyCart admin it takes almost 30 seconds for the page to load. It's especially painful when going in and out of several subscription "edit" pages. We would love to see pagination implemented on the subscription page along with search and filters similar to the transaction report page to get a decreased load time.

I realize you guys have a lot on your to-do list and our issue may be solved by the upcoming Subscription API release but I wanted to put this out there.
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    You know, ... Yeah, I've actually been complaining about this too for a while, since we use FoxyCart to manage FoxyCart, so we definitely feel your pain. Luke's been making some improvements to the admin, and there's a subscription API coming in our next release, but we'll see if we can't do something about this, as it's only going to get worse for you as your subscriptions continue to increase.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    edited September 2009
    Yes, we DEFINITELY feel your pain here. We've been focusing on getting 060 out the door, but we may include improvements here as well.

What would you like to see? I've been thinking of a couple options:
    Filter drop down to show:
      [li]subs with past due amount[/li]
      [li]subs with cards that will expire soon[/li]
      [li]subs that will run tomorrow[/li]
      [li]subs that will run in the next 7 days[/li]
      [li]subs that will run in 2 weeks[/li]
    I've also been thinking about adding a frequency filter and possibly a simple search form to search by email or product name.

Here's our challenge: we don't want the FoxyCart admin to be someone's business admin since there are thousands of ways to manage a proper online business. That's why we integrate with other systems using our XML datafeed. That being said, the subscriptions are something that we kind of "own" on our site so we do have to take some responsibility for making those easy to manage. Once we open that door though, our fear is a lot more requests will start pouring in for reports, trends, customer management, order management, order fulfillment, etc, etc... all of these are great things to have, but they aren't our core competency. Our goal has always been to do the cart and the checkout as best we can and make it really easy to integrate with anything else.

Anyway, we'd love your feedback on this and please do request it on our feature requests page: http://requests.foxycart.com

Thanks for posting.
  • Thanks for the follow-up Luke and Brett.

Truth be told...99.9% of our interaction with the subscription admin is to find one particular subscription and modify it in some way that's not available via the API. Others may find the filters you've mentioned of use, but you're correct that we can achieve all of those filters in our system with the data you provide in the XML Datafeed and current API. The rub for us is the time it takes for us to manually cancel an account, modify past due balance owed, or just do research when a user reports an issue when we have to wait for the entire list to load on every refresh.

For our own selfish needs a simple search box that searches e-mail address or first/last name would be ideal. Follow that up with a list of the 25 most recent subscriptions? I'm not sure we need to see a list at all but I could see a desire to see the last 25 subscriptions at a quick glance without having to do any other filtering.

I'll put this in the feature requests as soon as I get some points back. Look forward to meeting you guys in Nash-vegas!
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @jaushman: Based on your standing applause to the subscription API that's coming I think that should take care of your needs. Let's see how that works for you, then we'll go from there. We definitely do need to improve the subscription page on the admin, and we're taking steps in that direction, but it won't be before the subscription API.