The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

SCHEDULED DOWNTIME: Saturday, September 12, 2009

brettbrett FoxyCart Team
in Important News edited September 2009
Hello all.
We've just sent out an email to all admin users of FoxyCart, and have also posted on our blog, but here's the official thread for the downtime this Saturday (or Friday if you're before EST).

The details are here:
http://status.foxycart.com/

The quick overview is:
We're doing some _major_ upgrades of our servers, as well as moving the main app servers to a new datacenter. This will happen between 1am - 3am EST, Saturday morning. Please read the notes on http://status.foxycart.com/ prior to posting on this thread, but please feel free to ask questions about this downtime. While we sincerely hate to go offline, scheduled maintenance is a fact of modern internet life. Even Google, Apple, and Microsoft go down for maintenance occasionally.

In case anybody's curious (as it isn't really covered elsewhere), this is what your customers will see if they happen to hit the cart of checkout during the downtime. If anybody cares to provide alternate translations please let us know.

http://failover.foxycart.com/example

Again, we don't take _any_ downtime lightly, but this maintenance window will allow us to improve the reliability, speed, and security of our entire system, and it will ensure that our infrastructure can continue to grow as your stores do.

Please let us know if you have any thoughts or concerns about this. We appreciate your feedback.
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    :)
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Update for any interested parties: http://status.foxycart.com/

We scheduled 2 full hours, and while we anticipated being able to restore service after an hour, we actually turned things back on exactly 2 hours later. Perfect timing ;)

It was a fairly smooth 2 hours, though we did experience some issues with stores using custom subdomains.

Special thanks to Fred, who has been heading up this migration for the past few months. Please let us know how you find things in the next week, as we continue to monitor the new cluster as it performs under a normal load.
  • I could be imagining things, but it seems faster to me!
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    It shouldn't be your imagination as the new setup is WAY better than the old one. Thanks so much for the feedback.
  • tookingstookings Member
    edited September 2009
    It seems peppy. :)
    The data's still incoming, but from the initial indications the average response time has decreased by a few hundred milliseconds. We'll update more once we collect more data, but it's a nice start.

So that's good ;)
  • Not sure if it's related but the captcha image to display cardholder data doesn't seem to be displaying at the moment.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Thanks Sal, we're looking into it.
  • >Please let us know how you find things in the next week

3919025150_f68683c935_o.png

2009-09-14 at 12.09.33 AM (PDT): insufficiently foxy.
    Hi Windell.
    That... is really weird. Were services actually down for you at that moment? That really shouldn't have been showing for you, as services have not been interrupted like that.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that'd happen. So we're going to have to figure out why the status site didn't match reality.
  • Well, sure looked like foxycart *was* actually down for a few minutes. I was just adding some product links when I found that the cart wouldn't load-- empty modal window. A couple minutes later the modal window just said (approximately quoting) "unable to connect to database." That's when I checked the status page and took that screenshot. From there, I went to admin.foxycart, but it was down, and then things were up shortly thereafter. There was a moment in the middle there where your status page showed three (I think) green boxes and two red.

I did not personally observe the forum, wiki, or main page down, except as reported by your status page.
    Thanks for that. Our www, forum, and wiki were actually losing connectivity intermittently last night, but the APP server should have been fine throughout. If that happens to you again please let us know.
    Update Windell: Our backups actually probably knocked out the app server for a moment. We're working on making sure this doesn't happen (as it just did).

The www, forum, and wiki being down was actually entirely unrelated. We have those at Slicehost, and for some reason they were having connectivity issues yesterday evening.