American Express

kscotbarrkscotbarr Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited September 2009
Donors trying to use American Express cards on my client's site aren't able to. Is this because his Authorize.net account doesn't allow it or... ?

http://www.jonathanneerman.com

Thanks,

Kevin
Comments
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Hi Kevin.
    It depends on your gateway or merchant account settings. There's nothing in FC that prohibits AmEx, but sometimes it's not included by merchant account providers, as it's kind of a different setup.

So yes, check with Auth.net and/or your merchant account provider about it. Let us know what you discover if you'd like.
  • Typically your application to Amex and Discover is separate from the "base" setup of Visa/Mastercard. While it is often wrapped up the same application process and fairly seemless to you, your provider will usually need to add in your Amex account numbers by hand once they are approved/received, and this can happen a few days later (or be missed). You will probably get some direct mail from Amex welcoming you too...the most recent we got included some pretty sweet Fedex discounts.
    Sweet FedEx discounts from AmEx. And from Discover? Spam phone calls over and over by some firm trying to sell you SEO. At least, that's what's happened to us ;)
  • No phone calls...thankfully. I don't remember the Discover stuff from the most recent round...

The FedEx deal was actually nice...since we're forced to use them from one vendor, which thankfully will ship on our account number. I think they must have gotten a reverse discount or something... (And foxy will thankfully handle the Fedex API...worth the price just for that.)

I hear VistaPrint has some special offers going right now too. (That is sarcasm...anyone who has ever bought from them will know exactly what I mean. Got a nice "FAIL" stamp though. ;)
  • kscotbarrkscotbarr Member
    edited September 2009
    According to my client, this is what Authorize.net had to say:

Response Reason Code: 35
    Response Reason Text: An error occurred during processing. Call Merchant Service Provider.
    Other Suggestions: The merchant was incorrectly set up at the processor.

The error message in the Foxycart error log is:

Error: Your payment was declined for the following reason: An error occurred during processing. Call Merchant Service Provider. (Response Reason Code: 35)

So, it looks like Authorize is blaming Foxycart and you guys say it's their problem. I don't really know what to do.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Kevin
    edited September 2009
    The "merchant service provider" isn't FoxyCart; it's your merchant account provider. Authorize.net is just the gateway. FoxyCart is the e-commerce platform. The data goes from customer -> FoxyCart -> gateway -> merchant account. A little more info is here:
    http://www.foxycart.com/gateways-merchant-accounts-bank-accounts-oh-my.html

All that said, AmEx requires a separate account, as mentioned. Your merchant account provider is the one that can help. Typically they do this when the account is created, but perhaps they missed it, or they never set Auth.net up correctly. Or perhaps they didn't set up your Auth.net account but were hoping you would know what to do with the info they may have sent. Lots of possibilities, but the best way to solve it is to ask your merchant account provider.

Does that make sense?
  • Thanks Brett. And thanks for your input as well, tookings.
  • Can anyone tell me how to hide the AmEx logo on the checkout page?
  • Nevermind, after I searched AmEx instead of American Express, I found the thread with the directions.
    Worth noting is that in v060 all these logos are in the language section. Prior to that it's all in the CSS.