Coupon Codes == BAD for Conversions?

brettbrett FoxyCart Team
in General edited January 2008
Really interesting article:
http://www.getelastic.com/ecommerce-checkout-report/coupon-code-entry/

So perhaps our lack of coupon code functionality is a "feature" ;)

Anybody have any thoughts on this? The explanation that you lose people who go off to Google to find a coupon code is dead on, imo. I definitely do that myself. If I see a coupon code I'm scouring Google for it, and I usually find two or three that are all expired before I finally purchase (or abandon) the checkout.
Comments
  • That is really fascinating indeed! Thanks for sharing the resource.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    What about some wording like, "Enter your single-use coupon here:" which would tell people they are wasting their time if they google for it?

I've been thinking about this a bit today... We always talked about having a way to generate a bunch of single use coupons, but I was also thinking it would be cool to have a limit on them so they could function like a multi-use coupon. Example:

Where you used to say, "the first 100 people can use the 'DISCOUNT5' code to get the discount" how about saying 'be in the first 100 to use your custom code we sent you." Then you generate 1,000 codes and send em out to everyone, but limit the total number of codes within that category to a certain number. That seems better for tracking your individual customer actions anyway. That way each promotion could be a "category" of sorts with a certain number of generated codes with expiration dates and caps on how many can be used and so forth...

So much to do, so little sleep. :)
  • I totally agree. I always go look for a coupon now if I can find one. Then if I find one and it doesn't work, then I contact support (extra burden on them).

I've also noticed if I sign-up for a service then cancel, they'll often offer a special 50% price for life. So now I try that.

Chuck
  • That's an interesting article indeed. It really depends on the product and the type of customers.

Regardless, I'd love to see Foxycart offer coupon codes as an option where sellers can hide the field if they don't want it.

I currently use it and I have the option to create codes that expire after a certain number of uses (overall and per user) as well as codes that expire after a certain date. It works well for my customers.

J
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    We'll be adding them in the coming months, but we'll be thinking a bit about how to minimize the "I'll go find me a coupon code!" effect. If anybody has any thoughts, let us know.

Our thoughts so far have been to:
    - Hide the field if there aren't any active coupon codes for the store.
    - Make the field a little hidden/minimized by default. If you have a coupon code you're going to be looking for where to enter it. Otherwise we probably don't want to draw attention to the coupon code field.

Thoughts?
  • I'm a designer and programming idiot. How can I add a simple form field to the checkout template? I want to use it to allow customers to add a note (maybe even a coupon code) when they submit an order.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Heya Mikey. This might be what you're looking for:

http://wiki.foxycart.com/docs:checkout:customfields

(we're in the process of reorganizing our docs... thanks for your patience)
  • Thanks Luke. I copied the code from the example on the page you sent. The only thing is that the formatting doesn't quite look right. (I didn't change a thing.) For instance, the title <h2>Additional Information</h2> doesn't show up. I'm still looking to see what's up.
    Hey Mikey.
    Check out Firebug. If you're using the "standard" template the h2s are being replaced with images in the CSS, so that's probably what it is.
  • So are coupon codes possible with foxycart? We're looking at using them as a way to track sales rep activity. Reps are given promotional material to distribute with coupon codes. By enetering the code the customer receives a 2 for 1 discount. I know that 2 for 1 is possible but is it possible to do this only if the coupon code is entered?
  • I'd really like to start using coupon codes too. Even if it's not for coupons, it would be nice to have a way to track specific transactions.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    We're making great progress on this front. It's actually the last piece of functionality that is going into the 0.4.0 release and it's almost done. We're just building out the admin management page for the coupons. Stay tuned. We'll be looking for early adopters to run the new version through its paces so we'll keep you mind. Check this page for more info: http://wiki.foxycart.com/feature_requests

Coupons are definitely the highest voted option and we're working on it. We'll even have some nice functionality where you can send someone a link via email or IM and it will add the coupon via the link and then redirect them back to a page on your site so they can continue shopping. Cool stuff.
  • Luke,

I am patiently awaiting the release of the coupon codes! I think there is so much that can be done with coupon codes to drive traffic and convert to customers. I look forward to the new release!
  • Luke,

Any ideas when this might be available? We're putting together a marketing campaign and we'd really like give out coupon codes.
    edited September 2008
    Update for all: We have coupon codes working, but there are still some bugs that we're ironing out. Public timeline announcements are an anathema to us, but we're trying REALLY hard to get 040 out as a beta for interested parties to try very soon (more than a day, less than a month; as always, no promises on that, but I promise we're working our tails off to get this out to everybody).
  • Thanks for your work. We are all lighting candles and sending positive mental vibes your way.