Will Foxycart work for me?

zanfardinomzanfardinom Member
in General edited October 2009
Hi all,

I am interested in using Foxycart for a non-profit organization. The non-profit will accept a yearly subscription at a set amount. Will foxycart let me integrate a drop down menu with options of the membership and additional options with a membership and an extra 5 for donation?

Also, how does the pricing work? I see there is a 15.00 a month charge. Does this include the merchant account or do I need to sign up for Google Checkout or PayPal?

Thank you in advance!

mz
Comments
  • Hi mz.

First, yes, you will need a merchant account and gateway in addition to foxycart. A list of supported gateways can be found here. (We use CDG ourselves.)

Here is a somewhat generic example of using a form to checkout both an item with a yearly subscription, and an additional donation item. You wouldn't normally use open text fields for many of the options -- it's just to allow easy experimentation in this example. The foxycart form guide is a good place to start for the details on how this all really works.

Overall, foxycart is extraordinarily flexible and you can approach your request in many different ways. Hopefully that helps a little to get you started. :)
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Here's a live example of a recurring and one-time donation form in one:
    http://harvestevan.org/donate-to-harvest-evangelism.html

There's just a bit of javascript used to make things a little more intelligent, but it's fairly straightforward once you understand how FoxyCart works.
  • Thank you both for your quick response and great information/examples. Are there any options available for non-profit organizations (foxycart and merchant) that you know of?

mz
    FoxyCart doesn't currently have any discounts for non-profit, but we like to think our current rate of $15/mo is already pretty low, especially when compared to almost all other available options.

Not sure about gateway discounts for non-profits, but my hunch would be a no. Gateways have hard costs associated, and they're typically only making a few cents per transaction at most, so I don't think they have too much room to discount either.
  • Thanks, Brett!

I am new to this (online merchant/ecommerce)...so, I hope my question makes sense.

Okay, so, what is the different in using Foxycart (and paying for merchant), then just going with a merchant? Is it that Foxycart (as the name implies) gives the users a shopping cart whereas a straight merchant lets you purchase something directly without adding to a cart. The reason why I ask this (and I love your product...beautifully designed/developed) is that my client, at the moment, just requires a yearly membership fee for new members and existing members (renew every year). I would love to use Foxycart as a developer/designer (great flexibility), but don't want to set something up for my client that they might not need...at the moment. Maybe, in the future, they would like to sell products in addition to yearly membership fees. How will foxycart work for me as their developer?

Please help me understand what I need to do. I really appreciate your time and help as I am a newbie when it comes to online ecommerce.

Thank you,
    mz
    Hi mz.
    First, just to clarify, you can't interact directly with the merchant account (in almost all cases). You interact with the gateway.

Some gateways do not handle subscriptions, and others charge a monthly fee in order to handle them. For the gateways that do charge a fee, it's almost always at least 2-3x+ what FoxyCart charges.

Even if you were to bypass FoxyCart and go straight to the gateway, odds are you'd have a much (much) more difficult time integrating with the gateway than you would with FoxyCart, unless the gateway has a built-in secure checkout form. Some do, but they're typically just hideously ugly.

PayPal is the exception to all this. They can handle subscriptions, don't charge an extra fee to do so, and aren't too bad to do basic integration with. But any other gateway you'd probably have more problems than it'd be worth.

And yes, you'd have to build additional functionality to keep track of subscriptions, customers, etc. on your end. You could definitely do it, but it probably wouldn't be enjoyable or profitable by any stretch of the imagination ;)