The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

Free Shipping Based on Quantity

gougeawaygougeaway Member
in Bugs & Feature Requests edited October 2009
I've read a few posts on this, but I'm not sure I'm getting the answers I'd like. I have one product that I'd like to offer free shipping on, if the customer orders 3 or more.

The flat rate for shipping is $5.00 (for the entire order)

I looked at creating a new category for the item, but I'm not sure exactly how to set the discount to a fixed amount. "3-5.00" seems like it would discount $5.00 (the flat rate price for shipping) for each item - so $15.00, vs. $5.00.

How can I set this to a flat rate? I'm using .40, but if I have to upgrade I can.
Comments
  • I'm in the same boat. Look at Brett's response to the thread I started last night. Search on the page for "incremental".

That format of the coupon or "category discount" basically gives them the desired discount amount, only spread out evenly as a discount to EACH ITEM. I wish it would show as a total amount discount off the entire order rather than each item, but it accomplishes the math formula we wanted and will have to wait until something better comes out.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    The last comment of mine on that other thread suggests using a coupon code (automatically added to the order) rather than a quantity discount to achieve the same result but displayed as desired.

@ashworth102680, was that not what you wanted? Followup on that thread if not.
  • Sorry, for some reason I read that post but didn't think it was the same thing. I recently switched to decaf, so we'll blame that.

Would this work?

3-5|4-0

or maybe

3-1.67|4-0
  • Unless I'm mistaken, that's what I was doing at first too. That (i think) should add a discount to EACH item.

Brett's solution discounts a total amount spread out as smaller discounts for each item in your order.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    I might be confused, but there are two very different approaches here.
    1) Use a quantity discount, which is spread out across all the products.
    2) Use a coupon code, which is displayed as a line item.

Check that other thread for details... I should probably merge these two threads, but at this point it'd probably make things even more confusing ;)