The Foxy forums are on the move!

We're in the process of moving our forums over to a new system, and so these forums are now read-only.
If you have a question about your store in the meantime, please don't hesitate to reach out to us via email.

authorize only gateways

cbatoulicbatouli Member
in Help edited October 2009
Hi, we are going to set our store to authorize only. We have a payflow pro account I was going to use for this, but then I just realized that you can't void the authorizations through their portal, only through the api. We also have other things going through there that we might want to keep separate from this store.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which gateway we could use where we can use authorize only, and also void authorizations in batches through the portal?
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    I'm not sure about "in batches" but I'm pretty sure Authorize.net's integration lets you manage those via their web interface. That really surprises me about Payflow Pro. What's the point of Auth only if they don't give you control to manage it? Strange.
  • cbatoulicbatouli Member
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I did some research after I posted and found that authorize.net is the best way to go. You can bring up a list of transactions that haven't batched out yet, do a "select all" and hit "void". The only other thing I think would work would be PNP, but you'd have to do the voids one at a time, and their portal looks kinda scary.

And is there a real point to doing these voids? Since looking into the capabilities of these gateways for this purpose, I read that voiding an authorization actually won't release the hold on the card; it will only prevent it from capturing. Since these transactions would be auth only in the first place, is there a point to voiding them? Would it only be to prevent additional fees for having unsettled authorizations?

I have another about merchant accounts and gateways in general, because I can't seem to find an answer on the internet. Can we use one merchant account with multiple gateways, or would we need to get a second merchant account for the new gateway? It's still the one company, and we're even selling the same types of service if that makes any difference.

And is there a different answer to this question when considering a Visa/MC merchant account versus an American Express merchant account? When all is done, we could actually end up with three different gateways aimed at our AMEX account, if that is legal.

thanks.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Brett might have more input on this, but I think the gateway->merchant account relationship is a one-to-one relationship. Your best bet would be to ask your gateway and/or your merchant account and ask them to let you know what the best way to go is considering your company setup.

As for voiding the auth's, there was a post recently (that I'm unable to find for some reason) that talked about some accounts charging for unvoided auths... but again, that would probably be a question for your merchant account provider.

Hope that helps.
  • tookingstookings Member
    edited October 2009
    That was cbatouli that posted about those charges. :)

FWIW, from within Quantum (CDGCommerce) if you do an auth-only transaction, you can view it -- but you can't do anything with it or void the auth either. I could always ask them though.
  • I actually created a demo account and played with CDG a little. Oddly, every auth only transaction I tried to run showed up as "CREDIT." I think we will definitely go with Authorize.net if we do need to void the transactions. But who knows, if voiding has no effect on the bank holds on the funds, then maybe we'll just use our existing Payflow account and not bother with voiding.