Foxy Forum Status

We're no longer responding to questions via our forum, but we will keep it up for historical reasons. If you can't find the answer you're looking for, please visit our knowledge base or contact us. If there's enough interest in the future, we may bring the forum back.

Showing original price (with discount price) in Cart?

joelataylorjoelataylor Member
in Help edited October 2009
Hi guys,
I'm sure someone somewhere has asked this question already ... but my search came back null.

How would you go about customising the cart to display the original price if an item has been discounted? (rather than just showing the discounted price)

Maybe you're doing that when individual products or categories are discounted? But I'm doing a full-order discount - (site wide).

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Comments
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Good question... I don't actually think there is a way to do it unless you were to inspect the JSON and calculate it yourself. If that's something you think is important (and others do to) please vote for it here: http://requests.foxycart.com
  • Ok, good to know, if the customer wants it, the customer pays for it. :)
  • Maybe not exactly what you want, but instead of adding the full value to the cart and adding a negative item to the cart at checkout, add the items to the cart at the discounted amount, and copy Price as a custom product attribute, "Original Price." Almost gets you where you want, and is much simpler.

Or better yet, don't use discounting at all, and automatically add a coupon code for correct percentage off to every order.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    Yeah, I was thinking what @cbatouli said. Pass in a product parameter like "Original Price" or "List Price" or "MSRP" or something, so that displays as a product option.

This has definitely come up before though, just last week. It's kind of all part of a desire for discounts to be displayed differently. We're definitely aware of it, and will look to provide some other options as we're able. This conversation is somewhat related:
    http://forum.foxycart.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=2003&page=1#Item_19