Valid Category Error

jitpaljitpal Member
in Help edited November 2009
I'm not sure why but this error just started up today. No matter which category of product I try to add to the cart, it just says the category isn't valid. I went to the admin and updated the categories and it still won't recognize them consistently. I might try adding a dozen products and 10 of them will say the associated category wasn't valid. If I go back and try it again, it might work, it might not. Is this some sort of glitch?

Pensfast.com is the URL of the store. Thanks
Comments
  • tookingstookings Member
    edited November 2009
    Hit jitpal. I love these pens. Almost as much as a nice 005 Pigma Micron. :)

For the "Uni-Ball Vision Needle Point Rollerball Pen" there doesn't seem to be a category (ie. default, which I assume is intentional)...and there is a category for the "eProof for Uni-Ball Vision Needle Point Rollerball Pen" item that gets added with the pens. (Just asking, since I noticed for http://pensfast.com/bic-style-clear-promotional-ball-pen/ the category is specified for both the Pen itself and eProof.)

Anyway...as to your actual question...FWIW, I couldn't get a category error after about 20 add-to-cart tries. What browser were you having the issue in?
  • Hi tookings, the default category is intentional. It's really only there because of taxes/fees to different regions from the factory where those pens are made. Most don't have, thus the default. I haven't gotten an error for the default category just the eProof or the Bic category. I only have a total of 3 categories on the site right now. I love most uni-ball pens myself. I think they really nailed the construction of their pens in that you really feel good holding one, like every time you sign your name with one you feel the weight of what you are signing. It's not a feeling you get with a lot of pens that are under $5.

I'm using Safari 4.0.3 but quickly checking on FireFox it doesn't seem to be a problem there. Chrome Mac Dev Preview seems to be alright too. After looking through my error logs, there are a few entries of people other than myself getting the error so I still do need to solve it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • lukeluke FoxyCart Team
    Looks to be a mac specific error since each error in your error logs has something along these lines:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_6_1; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.3 Safari/531.9

We'll look into it but if you find anything out, please let us know.
  • tookingstookings Member
    edited November 2009
    Safari 4.0.3 seems to work on the PC side, just FYI.
  • brettbrett FoxyCart Team
    @jitpal, could you walk me through the exact page and quantities and options you're setting when you see this error?

Wow, nm. I found it.

Ok, so the issue isn't anything you're doing wrong. We just discovered this earlier this week and have already pushed some changes to production, and have another coming very very soon. Keep an eye out for sticky posts, but for now just clear any foxycart.com cookies when you see this. (It has to do with the example FoxyCart store interfering with the cookie at your domain, since they're both *.foxycart.com.) More details coming soon though.